Kids vs. Adults (Can you do this?)

MrBishop

There's a sad little bit that happens sometime around puberty. I call it the 'I can't syndrome'.

If you ask the following questions to a room full of kids, they'll all raise their hands. As the same question to a room full of adults, and most won't raise their hands.

Can you draw?
Can you paint?
Can you sing?
Can you play a flute?
Can you dance?
Can you tell a joke?
Can you play sport X? (hockey, baseball, soccer etc...)

What is it about growing up that we have to give up our creativity and self-expression? What could possibly have happened in those short years that smudged out all of our "I can do it" attitude?

Here endeth the rant!

Can you rant with justification?
can you moan with good reason?
Can you both genuinely value and yet be sometimes weary of your'e responsibilities?
Can you be both child AND adult???

Can you swing a young loved one round and round and pop them on your shoulders and show them things?
Can you tell them stories and be there for them?
Can you provide them with love, teaching and food and warmth?
Can you enjoy re-living those experiences with them?

can you do all that as a child?

(But i take your point, to a degree! :bgpimp: )

Best, BB

Hey! Hey! I can tell a joke!

Have you heard about Saddam Hussein's cottage cheese recipe? No Kurds! :D

What is it about growing up that we have to give up our creativity and self-expression? What could possibly have happened in those short years that smudged out all of our "I can do it" attitude?

Its called the "Good. We have a volunteer for (whatever)" syndrome...:D

Inky? :tomato:

There's a sad little bit that happens sometime around puberty. I call it the 'I can't syndrome'.

If you ask the following questions to a room full of kids, they'll all raise their hands. As the same question to a room full of adults, and most won't raise their hands.

Can you draw?
Can you paint?
Can you sing?
Can you play a flute?
Can you dance?
Can you tell a joke?
Can you play sport X? (hockey, baseball, soccer etc...)

Here endeth the rant!
You go from "doing it" to "accomplishing". When kids realise they get credited for being "good" at something, they also realise they can be "bad" at something. And sometimes, if they see someone else doing it "better" than them, they decide they "can't" do it themselves.

Oh, and for the record: Some people simply "can not", no matter how much they keep their belief in their own capabilities. Like my upstairs neighbour and her gentleman caller. CAN NOT!

Also, it should be illegal to have karaoke equipment in private homes.

Just sayin'.

24/7, how about you? ;)

...365 days a year , how about you? ;)

*BB puts on poker face, raises - flicks a glance at chcr's fingers on the green baize - he's tapping them 'tip-tap-tip again .... notices a slight tension in his neck through the hazy whisky fuelled ill-lit smoky room ...*

Back