labor day weekend question

Labor Day weekend good time for a wedding ?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rh71

We're trying to plan a wedding date and one of the only Saturdays left for where we want is 9/4/04. Some other places had 9/5 (Sunday) instead.

1) Would you guys attend a wedding that weekend (what's the likelihood you'd already be doing something or want to do something else then) ?

2) Are Sunday weddings a hassle ? We're thinking Labor Day Monday can afford our guests more time, but that may work against us if they use that entire weekend to travel or do other things...

Thanks... big decision for us.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Wow..Thats a tough one. I'd imagine as long as you sent the announcments early enough, it would work out ok. You may want to get some feedback directly from the more important guests (family) before you set the date.

:eek6: You sure you want to do this? :D

chcr

Too cute for words
I got married on New Year's Eve, it's bound to be less of a logistical nightmare than that was.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Squiggy had it...early warning, err, invitations, solve the problem & possibly create a scenario in which you'll have more able to travel.

greenfreak

Are the wedding ceremony and the reception close to each other? What catering hall did you choose anyway, there are so many on LI but they all seem to be owned by the same "family". :D

I would consider the guests and which ones would be coming from out of town, their lodging for the weekend is bound to be tough with the holiday and all. But on the bright side, many people already have time off so it can be planned better. Then again, many people make that the last family vacation of the summer... I don't know. If it was close to home and we didn't already have plans, I wouldn't mind. But you would have to make sure your guests knew pretty far in advance. Like now. :)

I have three cousins getting married this year, and they all sent out these cute fridge magnets that say, "Save the Date!" with their names and the date on them. I thought it was a great idea.

Inkara1

Yeah, as long as you let people know not to make other plans ahead of time you should be fine. My wedding was on a Friday because the same building cost half as much to rent as it would have on a Saturday.

rh71

Thanks for the responses... I've been thinking the absolute worst thing to do was to wait on the announcement of the date, so I agree that's the best thing to do first.

Greenfreak... we're holding the ceremony at FoxHollows in Woodbury (haven't booked just yet)... and the reception will be out in Flushing since her family's mostly out there toward the city. Any other ideas as to ceremony places just as nice ? :)

CydCharisse

The polite thing to do is send the invitations 4 to 6 weeks before the big day to give those time to plan and get time off from work if needed. I see no problem with a labor day wedding

greenfreak

rh71 said:
Thanks for the responses... I've been thinking the absolute worst thing to do was to wait on the announcement of the date, so I agree that's the best thing to do first.

Greenfreak... we're holding the ceremony at FoxHollows in Woodbury (haven't booked just yet)... and the reception will be out in Flushing since her family's mostly out there toward the city. Any other ideas as to ceremony places just as nice ? :)

That's funny, I was just there Monday night for my boyfriend's work Christmas party. Which room? We were in the "Winter Garden" room on the right when you walk in the front door, with the waterfall in the back and the ivy hanging all over the place. Then there's the "Garden Terrace" all the way down the hall, that's a beautiful room, I've been in there for another Christmas party. They just built that hotel next door, wouldn't it be better to have the reception there too?

I've been to a lot of the catering halls for functions over the years, and I always liked Foxhollow CC. Although, the most beautiful I've been to is the Thatched Cottage but it's way out, on the North Shore. But if you're not doing the reception there, it's probably not worth it.

The Scotto Brothers own the Fox Hollow, Chateau Briand and Westbury Manor. Chateau always seemed really cheesy to me and Westbury Manor isn't as classy as the Fox Hollow. There's a beautiful place called The Riviera, it's on the water somewhere but it's always been pricey. The Swan Club has a sump right out the front door but if you can get past that, they have nice grounds and rooms. Coral House is nice but it's on a main road in a high traffic area, not really closed off.

Rusty and I were considering the NY Botanical Gardens which is in the Bronx, right near the Zoo. I don't know how much it would cost or if you could get it for Labor Day weekend but it's a beautiful place. If you're just doing the ceremony, they might have special rates. Usually people who rent it out rent it for the reception.