Lake Tahoe & driving in the snow

kuulani

My husband and I are spending our 5th wedding anniversary in Tahoe at a friend's cabin.

After checking the weather forecast, it looks like we'll be in snow! That sounds nice and cozy, but now I'm worried about driving in snow (something I've never had to experience). My husband has some experience driving in snow, but only from the once-a-year snow that falls on the top of our mountain where he works, but it's more ice than anything else.

Any tips?
Does it matter what kind of car we rent?

Inkara1

Keep chains handy. You might want to rent something with four-wheel drive, but remember that a Jeep or a Hummer can slide and go down the hill just as easily as a Geo.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
This coming from a guy who lives in a city where they don't really get snow...

Driving on snow and ice is NOT the same thing. They are two different road conditions (ice being worse most of the time). Saying they're the same is like saying snow and rain are the same (again, not true, I'd actually rather drive in snow than rain most of the time).

I don't know how much snow you're looking at but the most important thing is a good set of tires. Last winter I drove on good all seasons in Toronto but this winter in Calgary I may go for snow tires. That said, handling has to do with the specific vehicle...my mom's car is crap in the snow and rain, mine (basically the same car but 2 years newer) handles amazingly. Unless it's a lot of snow 4 wheel drive is probably over kill...and again, unless it's HUGE amounts of snow chains are also overkill.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race...don't start off too fast.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Also, jeeps are CRAP in the snow. A friend of mine has one and he curses his decision everytime the snow flies in the winter. I don't know about Hummers but they don't strike me as having good winter handling.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Tahoe...November snow...bring lots of spare warm clothing. It can get deep. (which is really cool)

ResearchMonkey

Tires, pay attention to what tires it has, 4x4 +power without question. Plowed roads and good tires, chains/cables may not be needed.

thangiv02%20318.jpg

. . . thats in a Jeep Cherokee and a Dodge Durango, but only about 2' of older/fresh snow, unplowed and 7 miles past the winter closure gate.

kuulani

Also, jeeps are CRAP in the snow. A friend of mine has one and he curses his decision everytime the snow flies in the winter. I don't know about Hummers but they don't strike me as having good winter handling.

Hummers don't do snow (I think I posted this pic before, but I still find it hilarious)!!

kuulani

Tires, pay attention to what tires it has, 4x4 +power without question. Plowed roads and good tires, chains/cables may not be needed.

We're gonna rent an SUV, I'm assuming it'll have 4x4. I guess I'll have to ask the rental people about the tires.

Inkara1

Let's correct that... Jeeps on normal tires are crap in the snow. As I pointed out, they're just as dependent on the contact patch of a tire as a Geo.

...and I was trying to tell her to act like she's driving on ice... as in, act like she's in the worse driving condition, being a newbie to the snow and not knowing the differences between driving on the two. Assume the road will be slippery.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Let's correct that... Jeeps on normal tires are crap in the snow. As I pointed out, they're just as dependent on the contact patch of a tire as a Geo.

...and I was trying to tell her to act like she's driving on ice... as in, act like she's in the worse driving condition, being a newbie to the snow and not knowing the differences between driving on the two. Assume the road will be slippery.

No, jeeps (as in a real jeep, not a "jeep brand SUV") on almost any tires are crap in the snow. It's the handling of the vehicle.

Driving on snow and ice are not the same though, I think if I tried to drive through snow in the same manner that I drive on ice I'd end up stuck...two different conditions, two different approaches. Snow of any depth requires a consitant speed to get through it, stop and you're stuck. Ice however you wanna be moving much slower usually (like, I'm talking a full sheet of ice) because handling is much more compromised than in snow.

If she's only talking an inch or so of snow on the ground than maybe a newbie could approach snow as if it's ice...but then your comment about chains would be WAY WAY WAY off...