laptop

highwayman

Am thinking about going with a new laptop with an intel processor, have ruled out AMD for the simple reason I am not into graffics or games and they run hot.
Any sugestions?

Get a core duo t2400, 1gb of ram and 100gb HDD, that seems to be the sweet spot now. I'd recommend going for a 15" screen instead of a 17" because I wouldn't like to carry a big puter with myself.

I do believe the Turion based laptops are running rather neck and neck with Centrino based systems when dealing with wattage. It's the traditional processor based AMD laptops you want to stay away from, like Semprons and such. The Turions are actually supposed to be quite nice all round vs Centrino based systems.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ in my laptop and I don't have any problems with heat.

Nixy said:
I have an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ in my laptop and I don't have any problems with heat.

The earlier versons needed good circulation, not sure about the models available now. Had one with windows 98 and it would get hot enough to warp the case...

They started out at something like 65 or 85W then later they got that down to 35W and now the Turion's run at around 25W.

I've got an Averatec 3270 here with a Sempron 2800+ and yes, it's gets pretty warm but I've never experienced any overheating that toasted anything.

My Gateway has an Athlon 64 in it, and the heat on the bottom comes from the hard drive a lot more than the processor.

Dell laptop explodes at Japanese conference

INQ reader's amazing snaps

By INQUIRER newsdesk: Wednesday 21 June 2006, 13:22

AN INQUIRER READER attending a conference in Japan was sat just feet away from a laptop computer that suddenly exploded into flames, in what could have been a deadly accident.

Guilhem, our astonished reader reports: "The damn thing was on fire and produced several explosions for more than five minutes".

Should you witness such an event, his advice is, "Don't try anything courageous/stupid, stay away, away, away!"
dell%20banger1.jpg

"For the record, this is a Dell machine," notes Guilhem. "It is only a matter of time until such an incident breaks out on a plane, "he suggests.

Guilhem managed to catch all the action in these amazing pictures.

"Fire extinguishers leave a mess on your suit and belongings; pack your stuff (if you can) and leave, leave, leave!" he advises.

We don't have any further details of the model of the computer in question. In light of the evidence, however, we'd suggest you avoid actually using a laptop on your lap. Ouch.

dell%20banger2.jpg

source

Back