Largest US deficit ever proposed for 2007

flavio said:
Give us a laugh and justify these LIES.....
I'll take that one on.
Have you seen where the cuts are going to be?
In benefits, or administration fees?
I believe it's the latter there.
It says the cuts are from the program, not trust fund cuts. Right?

Like I said somewhere else here,...it's all about shuffling numbers.

Clinton and a budget surplus
The Republican takeover of Congress in 1994 led to a push for a balanced budget, President Clinton and congress reduced the deficit. Major economic growth and spending controls such as welfare reform, favoured by both the President and republican congress allowed for a balanced budget (when the Social Security surplus was counted as revenue) by early in Clinton's second term - considerably earlier than what Clinton's own projections for this had indicated and, afterwards, a surplus which actually allowed the retirement of some government debt.

Momentarily, the deficit issue faded from view. Despite the nominal surplus, the national debt grew each year of the Clinton presidency since the surplus is not applied against spending in this calculation.

Out of office, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich called for continued payments toward the debt with a view to paying it off entirely. Perot's less effective 1996 presidential bid was in part evidence of the declining significance of the deficit, and hence the Balanced Budget Amendment, as an issue. In his final State of the Union President Clinton said the USA should continue to balance its books and pay off the deibt entirely, however a combination of tax cuts, an international economic downturn and increased military spending during the Bush Presidency have seen the debt grow to the largest in US history.
Wiki-Balanced Budget Amendment

Neither party has done squat to help the situation. When the GDP is as high as ours, this debt is nothing serious. It's like your credit cards & car loan. In fact, I'd bet the average American has a higher debt:income level than the US Governement.

Read Article 1- section 8...it doesn't give a limit.

but but...Cliton, and Gore said they budget was balanced...totaly :lol2:

If Bush wanted to take a page from the Clinton/Enron book, the budget
would be totally balance by this time next year. (at least on paper) :brush:
Of coarse we'd probably be in full scale recession though in reality.

I fear as soon as taxes start to rise, the recession is coming anyway.

The way I see it in everyday life right now, ...
Bush gave tax cuts, the stores, and other services, ALL started jacking up Their
prices to get more of their piece.
Now if taxes are raised, I don't know that prices would come back down quick
enough to stop a recession.
So....
I'm stuffing money under the matress...so to speak.

Gonz said:
Wiki-Balanced Budget Amendment

Neither party has done squat to help the situation. When the GDP is as high as ours, this debt is nothing serious. It's like your credit cards & car loan. In fact, I'd bet the average American has a higher debt:income level than the US Governement.

Read Article 1- section 8...it doesn't give a limit.
I seem to remember Bush had to have the debt limt raised 3-4 times. Did he finally just get rid of it? maybe relate it to terrorism somehow?

Back