Laser eye surgery

Jeslek

Banned
I was wondering. I have relatively bad eyesight. Not too bad, but not the greatest. Myopia.. I can see near, but not far. I was thinkig of getting laser eye surgery though. The question is, does anyone know how that would impact service in the military?

What I heard was that several years ago the military didn't like it, but that they changed their mind and are now actaully approving of it.

as far as i know, that's right. at least in the netherlands; there was a bit of a fuzz when people had laser surgery wanted to become fighter pilots, because they were afraid for unnoticed side-effects.
but laser surgery has proven to be quite reliable, and had no bad side effects.

it is quite expensive, so when your eyesights isn't THAT bad (like mine, -1 and -0.75 -- no idea whether that's the same scale as in canada) it's not very usefull.
only reason then would be if you wanted to join the airforce and wanted to become a pilot, or a navy fighterpilot.
besides the airforce (and that part of the navy) the army never had anything against people who had laser surgery.

my mom had it done herself she says its allright but the firt few days maybe a week she had headaches from it. as far as military i think they will ask about it but i dont know if itll hinder your chances or not

I heard that the army at least schedules laser surgery for soldiers, of course this was on a laser surgery commercial, so take it with a grain of salt.

Shadowfax said:
it is quite expensive, so when your eyesights isn't THAT bad (like mine, -1 and -0.75 -- no idea whether that's the same scale as in canada) it's not very usefull.

-1 and -0.75 is bad, you can't read the plates if the are farther than about 7m.

I have -1.5 and -1.25 i think, i'm pretty "blind" at about 6pm (zero hour?), i don't like to drive without my glasses.

Luis G said:
Shadowfax said:

-1 and -0.75 is bad, you can't read the plates if the are farther than about 7m.

I have -1.5 and -1.25 i think, i'm pretty "blind" at about 6pm (zero hour?), i don't like to drive without my glasses.

uh, then you must have a different scale than we do...around here -1 and -0.75 is practically nothing...from -8 and down it's bad.
i can read plates from 25+ m for example...

chcr said:
I heard that the army at least schedules laser surgery for soldiers, of course this was on a laser surgery commercial, so take it with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't mix salt and eye surgery. :eek:

Shadowfax said:
uh, then you must have a different scale than we do...around here -1 and -0.75 is practically nothing...from -8 and down it's bad.
i can read plates from 25+ m for example...

People can be "night blind" without needing glasses. I have an anti-glare coating on my glasses as I have trouble with bright lights. I need them for driving and watching TV, but also wear them most of the time because of the light, though I take them off to read small print and thread needles.

Jeslek said:
My glasses are -2.75 I think. I'm with Shadowfax though... Below -6 it gets nasty.

So hmm, what's the maximum distance that you are able to read the plates of a car, with good daylight?

I'm probly in the 5-7m range.

I have an ex-girlfriend (Stephanie) whose eyesight was so bad she had to leave her glasses on during sex. Well, I talked to her again last November for the first time in a year and a half, and in the meantime she had the lasik procedure.

I liked her better with glasses. :shrug:

Back