Last Day Of School

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Everybody passed their year *phew*. It looks like we're gonna be spending an awful lot of time at the beach and library. I've found lots and lots of fun free stuff to do with them. All terror-filled thoughts of spending every waking minute with the children aside, it should be pretty good this year.

I have to rifle through the 48 000 trees they brought home in the form of an entire year's work x 3. Blue box guys ain't gonna be happy. But I found some good keeper stuff. I started reading the ohsosweet middle boy's daily assigned journal today. Last week he wrote, "I hate school. I wish all schools would get blown up.". And I didn't even get a call!! Or have the police at the door!! The teacher's comment was "And never be rebuilt!". :laugh:

The Wednesday or Thursday of the last week in June - first Tuesday in September is the summer break here.

What happened to Memorial Day - Labor Day summers? (ou local school system is early June til Mid August)

Well, we're in Canada for starters :p

Labour Day here is the first Monday in September. They start the day after Labour Day, have set holidays and however many mandated days (edit- 194 (I just looked)) in a school year, so it ends up being (in Ontario anyway) the last week in June.

That's cold. Joisey only requires 180 days (but they still give us 182 or 183 days, 'to allow for snow days' - even though if we get a snow day, they tack on another day so they don't go below 183), which means we start sometime between Sept 1 and Sept 9, ending usually on June 18-June 21. Scheduling worked out real well this year. We typically have a week of monday-wednesday final reviews, then thursday-friday finals, then monday finals, then tuesday is makeup finals and graduation, then wednesday is the 'last day of school' that is typically attended by about 100 teacher pet freshmen.
But Bruce Springsteen or somebody had a concert in the place they wanted to hold graduation on Tuesday, so they made graduation/finals makeup Monday, giving us two last days of school, and wednesday-friday finals. That meant that after my Friday final, I got to go home and not come back.

June 28th was the last day for regular students. Starting today and until July 14th is the period for extraordinary exams. Then 2 week vacations and we return for regularization exams. Then the new semester starts.

I just went down there to drop off lunches, and it's a party! They have a bouncy castle/obstacle course thingie out in the field, and a snowcone machine, and a book sale (25 cents) going on. !!!

We used to move desks.

I reme4mber moving desks quite well. The slow transition to earlier school start times happened while I was in school. My parents used to be able to take advantage of the Labor Day sales to get me all new clothes to wear to school for the year, but now school starts well before Labor Day.

It takes too much labor to write labour so in order to save time, energy & valuable "U"s, it's Labor :D

No, I'm used to the lazy ass writing. I was wondering wtf a Labour Day sale is. Why don't we have a holiday for the workers of the country? Hey wait! Let's make them work it!!!

Here in Texas, there are 176 school days. The kids got out of school this year on May 28th and they will return to school on August 15th.

Here the highschools have a shorter year.

Altron: What's the point of having grad on final make up day? Some people don't even know if they've passed!

Everyone just recieved their grades today. That's 10 days after the graduation.

Class of '05 had 100% graduation. Our board of education is so obsessed with image that they will bend the rules to allow people who are failing to graduate anyway.

Leslie said:
Labour Day sales?

Yeah, stores have huge sales events that coincide with Labor Day... that to school clothes is what day after Thanksgiving sales are to Christmas presents.

Actually, stores have huge sales to coincide with just about every holiday.

Back