Last Day Of School

It's weird looking at that from up here.

I can't fathom the association - thinking OH! It's Thanksgiving!! SHOPPING!

We do Boxing Day, that's about it. And those are more "not sales" than sales still.

Altron said:
Everyone just recieved their grades today. That's 10 days after the graduation.

Class of '05 had 100% graduation. Our board of education is so obsessed with image that they will bend the rules to allow people who are failing to graduate anyway.

I think that's stupid...if someone is failing everyone of their classes and they let them graduate that's RETARDED and if they do fail them after letting them go through the motions of graduation that's stupid and unfair.

In jersey we got out of school at the end of june too, down here in Florida we have been out since May 20th, they go back August 9th, NOT soon enough.

Nixy said:
I think that's stupid...if someone is failing everyone of their classes and they let them graduate that's RETARDED and if they do fail them after letting them go through the motions of graduation that's stupid and unfair.

If you want a circus, read up on the history of the California High School Exit Exam. Whee!

School never lasted past my Bday (June 25) when I was younger ,it was always such a nice gift and then to have a week-long Canada Day celebration ( June 25-July 1st) was also a nice touch.

Nixy said:

Nope. I knew a kid that didn't show up to school for two months and graduated. Maximum you can not show up and still graduate is 12 days.

They even give the test that you need to pass in order to graduate in the middle of Junior year, so results are in by the end of Junior year, so they can drop the kids who failed into a bunch of different test-prep classes so they have a 100% pass rate.

My birthday is March 14, so I always had my special day during school (or the Friday before it if it fell on a weekend). Everyone who had a summer birthday got theirs on like the second to last day of school or something.

Nixy said:
...if someone is failing everyone of their classes and they let them graduate that's RETARDED and if they do fail them after letting them go through the motions of graduation that's stupid and unfair.

They don't. The losers are pre-screened.

When I graduated ,even those who were one or two credits short could walk-up .It was assumed they "would " complete the necessary work midterm of the next year and would miss having a ceremony.Thats the main reason I didn't do the walk up,that and spending money on the suit et al .

For us, since we had grade 13 but most people graduated after grade 12 but we needed 5 english credits so some people didn't graduate until grade 13 because they chose to not take an extra english in grade 12 (I took media english) they were allowed to commence if the fifth english was all they were missing.

Kids here get 6 weeks summer break... including the last week in July and the first week in September.

There's no such thing as failing a year here, but our system is totally different to yours.

They get remedial classes and more homework.

In our education system kids don't fail in the same way, but they are graded and if their grades in the core subjects are very poor they end up in summer school. Learning here is more individual orientated, so long as kids are making progress we don't call them failures. They're encouraged to do better and if they need extra help in class to keep up with their peers they get it.

Aunty Em said:
They get remedial classes and more homework.

Our kids don't fail , but they are graded and if their grades in the core subjects are very poor they end up in summer school. Learning here is more individual orientated, so long as kids are making progress we don't call them failures. They're encouraged to do better and loads of extra help it thrown at them.

But I assume there are grades indicating failure. If end up in summer school and their grades are poor, they make it to the next year anyway?

Yes there are failing grades, but if they're having severe problems it's investigated as to why and they will have an educational assessment and could be statemented as having special educational needs which must be provided for by the local education authority and the school.

It may mean an assistant to help them in class, a move to a remedial class or even a different school.

If they're statemented then they do not have to reach the targets that are set for an average child of their age. Katie was statemented, her progress was assessed every year, and new targets set for her to achieve in the following year. If there is a failure at all it's the failure of the system to spot a child with special needs.

Kids here are guaranteed a playgroup or nursery place from the age of 3 and as soon as they walk through the door they are being assessed for what they can do measured against averages for their age. Our system is designed to catch children before they begin to fail seriously... unfortunately some slip through the net or are wrongly assessed.

Back