Left or right?

So the european way is to hold a fork in such a manner as if they lay the fork in their hand and closed their fingers around it? Almost as one would hold a knife whilst stabbing someone? It says it's common to eat like that in Canada...I don't eat like that...I guess I hold my fork more like a pen...

*shudders at the memory of a Kiwi mother with a etiquette stick up her ass.
I eat like an american! I mean, the fork has a curve in it to hold the food, why pile it up on the backside for Pete's sake?

The difference is that the knife and fork are held the same way in both hands (fork in left hand, knife in right hand - if right-handed) if you eat euro style, eg. you lay your hands flat over the instruments on the table, pick 'em up, and keep your hands horizontal to the table, with your elbows tucked in. You then use the knife to cut, and press food onto the fork. US style, you start out the same way, cutting up the food, then you put the knife down, and transfer the fork over to your dominant hand (the right in my case), and use the fork as a scoop (the fork tines are now pointing up instead of down). Clear?

plate_fork_knife.jpg

Euro-style

CPhiPixForkProper.jpg

US-style

BeardofPants said:
The difference is that the knife and fork are held the same way in both hands (fork in left hand, knife in right hand - if right-handed) if you eat euro style, eg. you lay your hands flat over the instruments on the table, pick 'em up, and keep your hands horizontal to the table, with your elbows tucked in. You then use the knife to cut, and press food onto the fork. US style, you start out the same way, cutting up the food, then you put the knife down, and transfer the fork over to your dominant hand (the right in my case), and use the fork as a scoop (the fork tines are now pointing up instead of down). Clear?

You eat off the back side of the fork?? That's just silly!!

tonksy said:
*shudders at the memory of a Kiwi mother with a etiquette stick up her ass.
I eat like an american! I mean, the fork has a curve in it to hold the food, why pile it up on the backside for Pete's sake?

It also has tines. If you're going to use it as a spoon, why not save yourself the grief and just use a spoon?

But seriously, the fork is intended to be used in both directions. I'll hold a seminar in Kansas for anyone who wants to learn. But the big question is what's with all the swapping hands?

Professur said:
It also has tines. If you're going to use it as a spoon, why not save yourself the grief and just use a spoon?

But seriously, the fork is intended to be used in both directions. I'll hold a seminar in Kansas for anyone who wants to learn. But the big question is what's with all the swapping hands?

I find it difficult to make the fork and my mouth meet properly when holding it with my left hand...I am USELESS with my left hand...

Oh, and I generally don't use my fork like a spoon...I stab my food...which wikipedia says isn't "proper" :D

Nixy said:
I find it difficult to make the fork and my mouth meet properly when holding it with my left hand...I am USELESS with my left hand...

That's why the Good Lord graced you with a wrist.

k so in euro style you keep the fork upside down and in your left hand?? weird :eyebrow:

k so it seems I eat euro style (since i stab my food) but I use my right hand after I have cut my food...and I turn my fork over before putting it in my mouth...

In New Zealand, they eat very Euro style .. it's pretty to watch, that's why we kept telling them 'you eat pretty' LOL ... they taught me how. It's hard to get used to, to be honest .. and if you're not raised with it, your wrist starts to hurt :D ... it's really hard to look pretty while you're trying to eat pretty, especially when you're used to eating with your hands :D

I always keep my knife in my right hand. Three fingers and my thumb wrapped around the handle, index finger running down the length of the blade on the blunt side. I hold the fork the same way usually, except in the left hand, the points facing down of course, unless I can't get a good stab in, in which case I might rotate my fork or use the fork in my right hand for more power and control. Regardless, I never use my left hand to hold a knife.

I have a MX1000, which can only be held in the right hand. Not that the left hand is useless, I use it for 6, T, G, V, and all of the keys to the left of that. Due to certain 'exercise schedules' I am a fair bit stronger in my right forearm than my left.

I've never heard of any of this "eating style" shit before. I think it's all retarded. Do we have to freaking label everything?! God.

I cut with my right hand, swap it to my left when I'm done cutting but I never turn the fork over. I use the knife to push the food onto the top of the fork. Unless it's salad, or something round like olives or tomatoes and then I'm spearing it with the tines because it's easier.

Back