Legal and Official

Oh, and when you get one, NEVER USE THE CONVENIENCE CHECKS THEY SEND YOU! Those bastards start charging interest from the moment you write them, usually at a higher rate than normal.

HomeLAN said:
I've gotten to the point where, if it charges more than 9.9 fixed, I already have 3 better, so it hits the circular file. You have to offer below 8, or below 9 with something else tossed in, to get my attention.

Oh, and Luis is right. Annual fees are a crock.
6.9 is my sweet spot. (I have to read um if I see that :lloyd: ) (you got to read that fine print)
I don't need but one anyway, and only use it enough to look good. :nerd:

HomeLAN said:
Oh, and when you get one, NEVER USE THE CONVENIENCE CHECKS THEY SEND YOU! Those bastards start charging interest from the moment you write them, usually at a higher rate than normal.

Yeah, and the cash advances from ATMs

You're better off getting a Visa or MasterCard (preferably Visa; there are, believe it or not, places that take Visa and not MAsterCard) credit card than a store card. Almost every store contracts out to Citibank now, and store credit cards tend to charge 21-24 percent interest even to people with 700+ credit scores. Many people have began their credit histories with a Sears card, but now that they contracted out to Citibank you have to have solid credit already to get the card.

Even with no credit history, you can get a better rate with a regular card with the added bonus of being able to use it somewhere besides the one store if need be.

But when you do get a card, use it to buy something small and pay it off in full each month. Repeat every month. Keep this up for a while and they'll boost your limit, improving your debt-to-limit ratio because you've got a higher limit.

HomeLAN said:
BTW, whatever problems you have in getting a credit card will go away when you buy your first house. You'll have to beat the fuckers off with a stick.

How about renting an apartment?

And speaking of Citibank, I have a Stafford loan through them.

FluerVanderloo said:
How about renting an apartment?

And speaking of Citibank, I have a Stafford loan through them.

Renting an apartment if through a company (not private) may show on your credit rating I think...but, the house this is because of collateral.

Yeah, if it was a major property owner they might report to the credit bureau, but I kinda doubt it. I was a little surprised at Cats post, I worked at one of those rent to own places, we never reported to the credit bureau.

He is right regardless though, that's a damn expensive way to buy anything. Avoid it unless you just want a TV for the weekend or something.

My last word on credit cards:

If someone offered you a product...any product...and told you how great it is, then started with "But don't do this....and don't do that...and this part of it is no good...and only this part is good if it's a certain way...", how badly would you want that product?

Credit cards are a rip off every time, every card, in every circumstance. Unless you're Donald Trump. And you aren't.

The book I suggested tells you precisely how to establish credit safely. And much, much more.

I know people who use credit cards. I used to be one of them. Never again, no way, no how. There is absolutely nothing in this world worth that much to me. I pay cash/check/debit card, or I don't get it, house and vehicle excluded and I'm working on the vehicle. Your grandmother would tell you the same thing, and my bet is that your grandmother has/had some money.

Do as you will. It's your money. But don't say you weren't warned.

PT said:
Yeah, if it was a major property owner they might report to the credit bureau, but I kinda doubt it. I was a little surprised at Cats post, I worked at one of those rent to own places, we never reported to the credit bureau.

He is right regardless though, that's a damn expensive way to buy anything. Avoid it unless you just want a TV for the weekend or something.
yep, damn expensive.
I think he went through 1st American, which also has banks...
I don't know if AAron's rental or some of the others do or not.
I'm sure some probably don't.

Renting will do nothing for your credit rating, 99.8% of the time.

SnP, if you mismanage money, you're correct, they can be an enabler. However, if you do as I do and pay the fucker off every month, in full, it's a free loan for 5-30 days, you get rewards programs, you get whatever earnings you can finagle on your cash until the due date, you get buyer's protection, and it's much easier to deal with a stolen card than stolen cash or a ripped off debit card.

Just because some people can't control their spending doesn't make the credit card the culprit.

HomeLAN said:
SnP, if you mismanage money, you're correct, they can be an enabler. However, if you do as I do and pay the fucker off every month, in full, it's a free loan for 5-30 days, you get rewards programs, you get whatever earnings you can finagle on your cash until the due date, you get buyer's protection, and it's much easier to deal with a stolen card than stolen cash or a ripped off debit card.

That's right, I still can't understand people that don't pay the whole bill every month and end up paying like 4 times their original debt. :shrug:

HomeLAN said:

Just because some people can't control their spending doesn't make the credit card the culprit.

And what percentage of card holders pay that balance every month? If we all did, the banks wouldn't make any money, hence they would either stop issuing them or be a helluva lot more selective about who gets one.

Banks issue credit cards to dead people. They issue them to dogs. I know this. Elvis ****** has been offered three. He's a basset hound. Think he's gonna pay his balance every month?

Y'all can do as you please...it ain't my money. But when you accept a credit card, you are doing business with that bank. A bank that engages in tactics as described above. They issue the "card checques" someone mentioned earlier, which I think you pointed out as total ripoffs. It's more risk than I am willing to accept with my financial future. Your results may, of course, vary.

As far as added protection goes, credit cards offer not one thing more than a debit card offers.

Again, it ain't my money. But my responses were to a recent high school graduate just starting college. Most of us know, college has some pretty warped priorities attached to it. We learn a lot of life's lessons there, the vast majority not being taught in a classroom. I cannot in good conscience watch this girl make a serious mistake without at least warning her. I'm just that way. Whether she heeds the advice or not is out of my hands. I learned the hard way; she might have to as well. I'm willing to bet that she will not be among the .05% of people who pay the balance in full, every month, without fail. I've been in her shoes (not figurativelty mind you...). I know the pitfalls that lie in her path. I assume you do to. If I can help her avoid one, I'm happy to try.

Peace out.

If you look carefully, you'll probably see where I told her that if she thinks she isn't ready, then she probably isn't.

Generally speaking, though, I think your advice, while meant well, is just plain wrong, and I tend to point that out when I see it. I'm just that way.

SouthernN'Proud said:
And what percentage of card holders pay that balance every month? If we all did, the banks wouldn't make any money, hence they would either stop issuing them or be a helluva lot more selective about who gets one.

If you pay with your credit card the store must pay a percentage to the bank.

HomeLAN said:
If you look carefully, you'll probably see where I told her that if she thinks she isn't ready, then she probably isn't.

Generally speaking, though, I think your advice, while meant well, is just plain wrong, and I tend to point that out when I see it. I'm just that way.

Then we differ. Not the first, likely not the last. :winkkiss:

SouthernN'Proud said:
And how do you think they make that back up?

Stores pay it because they would rather pay that to the bank and sell their products than limit their sales and not pay anything to the bank.

I think what he was trying to point out is that even if you pay off your credit card every month, without interest, the credit card company still makes between 1.5 and 5% of the sale from the merchant. So yes, even if everyone paid it off every month, the banks would still issue credit cards.

PT said:
I think what he was trying to point out is that even if you pay off your credit card every month, without interest, the credit card company still makes between 1.5 and 5% of the sale from the merchant. So yes, even if everyone paid it off every month, the banks would still issue credit cards.

Exactly.

Back