Less annoying, free, open-source alternative to Ms Office/Star Office

I've been using it for a year and a half or so. It's what's installed on all PCs at work that don't have MS Office. It opens all MS Office files (even ones MS Office no longer supports), saves documents and spreadsheets as MS Office files (occasionally loses some of the formatting) and will even save documents as .pdf. There are Windows, Linux and UNIX versions. I like it a lot. :)

ahem, OpenOffice.org is StarOffice. Sort of. It's the free (both senses), OSS office suite that sun uses as the testbed for StarOffice. AFAIK, the only difference is that SO has some additional functionality. that said, it's a pretty ok app, so long as you don't need or encounter some of the advanced features of MSO like inline comments, strange document formatting, etc. i still keep MSO in a dark corner of my computer for previewing documents that will be sent to MS users, resumes and such.

tommyj27 said:
ahem, OpenOffice.org is StarOffice. Sort of. It's the free (both senses), OSS office suite that sun uses as the testbed for StarOffice. AFAIK, the only difference is that SO has some additional functionality. that said, it's a pretty ok app, so long as you don't need or encounter some of the advanced features of MSO like inline comments, strange document formatting, etc. i still keep MSO in a dark corner of my computer for previewing documents that will be sent to MS users, resumes and such.
Yep, but it split off when Sun started charging for StarOffice. BTW, the new version of OpenOffice.org lets you write macros in Java.

tommyj27 said:
But OO is free. :p
So neener neener neener and whatnot.

Back