Lies, Damned lies, and Statistics...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I was looking at this, and thought to myself...how many anti-war people are actually in the US? If you just look at the raw data, you get no good numbers. Let's assume that there were 100,000 in each major city. That would put the number in the article at 300,000. There are over 300 million people living in the US. Taken strictly as a raw set of numbers, less than 1% of the US population ia anti-war. Of course, most of us realize that that number would be false. Some people may not like the war, and couldn't be arsed to join the protesters. Others may have been at work. Still others may not have heard about the whole thing. So how many of these people are there, really?

Yeah that doesn't happen here. Its concentrated evil.

Local civil disobedience.
In years past, Dr. Jim Malone has been approached by police for
standing on street corners with a sign declaring, "Will perform surgery for
food."

Some 64 local doctors have joined Malone's annual fund-raiser for
the Homeless Center by performing medical procedures at a
discount and donating all of the proceeds to the shelter.

They still hit the street corners . . .

What I'd like to know is what percentage of those anti-war are the same individuals at other causes protest.

I've been to two 'gatherings' - gay pride LA and protest march in SF, as an observer of the weirdos for kicks. I tell you, these people know whats up and have the 'march' down to science as if they do it all the time.

I bet +50% are professional poly-protester trying to 'feel', theres the power and to be a apart of something larger than themselves. Its a social event for them.

:hippy::hippy: :hippy: :hippy: :hippy:

Yeah that doesn't happen here. Its concentrated evil.

Local civil disobedience.

They still hit the street corners . . .

What I'd like to know is what percentage of those anti-war are the same individuals at other causes protest.

I've been to two 'gatherings' - gay pride LA and protest march in SF, as an observer of the weirdos for kicks. I tell you, these people know whats up and have the 'march' down to science as if they do it all the time.

I bet +50% are professional poly-protester trying to 'feel', theres the power and to be a apart of something larger than themselves. Its a social event for them.

:hippy::hippy: :hippy: :hippy: :hippy:

I was thinking more along the lines of "Is this all" rather than a 'selfish needing to belong' thing?

the fifth anniversary of a vote by the US Senate to authorise the Iraq invasion.

Huh? I thought that GW sent them over them at his will to do his personal bidding.

There is a difference in "not liking war" and whether a person deems it necessary.
(I know you know Gato, but it seems I have to say these things for some to understand)

I don't like "war". I also don't like getting hit foreign terrorism, therefore
I see it's necessity.

I think most people understand that our intel services, probably are as incompetent as the media portrays.

IMO any person that doesn't have all the facts, cannot likely make the best decision.
Of coarse there are those that have no clue in what is involved in good decision making any,
but think they know it all.:shrug:
I'd like to believe that's not the Majority.

A soldiers best is guarding the peace.

Yes sirree Gato, I'm sure that the numbers are always inflated.

Even that report you linked seemed to be pulling it out of their ass without any specifics, like where the report was filed from, just towing the liberal line.

I remember when the war started there was a thread about protests being reported, by many news sources, as many times their actual numbers in cities across the world.

there was even a well-published headline picture that showed a seemingly massive gathering, . . . .until you saw the other angles of it, then you discovered the illusion was that 90% of the people were in the shot and the veiwers mind assumed it was like that for many blocks. The other views also showed that 1/4 of the people were actually pro-war citizens, and was only about 1/10th of the claimed turn out.

There's several polls there. I'm sure you've noticed every poll for quite some time has shown a good 2/3 or so majority against the war.

There's several polls there. I'm sure you've noticed every poll for quite some time has shown a good 2/3 or so majority against the war.

nope, that's not what I've seen at all.
Quite the the opposite. Of coarse I see polls from sites you probably don't go to)

They are usually inaccurate on both sides.
I don't trust Any poll, unless There are certain criteria met, which is rare.

Most pollsters ask the question in a fashion that will produce the results they want, then spin it.

There are many places on this board that show just how I feel about polls.
You can look them up if you want.
This is about all I'm going to say on in this thread.

there are some links on this very board...look um up.

I told ya, I'm not into the poll thing.

Back