Linux distros

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I'm downloading some different distros and versions, i already got redhat9, but i'd also like to get redhat8 and debian 3.0r1

I noticed that redhat9 is only 3 discs, but 8 is 5, wtf?, do i need to download them all or some discs are just the srpms?, if so then which ones should i get?.

Debian, shit, 7 discs plus an update one. Do i need the 7 discs?, also, what's up with the NONUS disc 1?, i've never seen anything like that, does the nonus disc one includes also the regular disc1??

:confuse3:

if i remember right, some of the later discs are srpms and whatnot, the first disc is usually all you need for a basic install and the second disc is nice to have.

as far as debian goes, all the different discs are for architectures, AFAIK most if not all contain the same software, compiled for different machines.

in either case you'll want to find release notes for each distro, they should tell you what each cd/image is.

With RH 8 you'll most likely need all three, unless you know what RPM's are on 3 and choose not to have any of those installed. By default, you'll need it though. The last two are just sources. No need for them unless you plan on doing custom compiles or builds.

tommyj27, thanks for the info, however, there are several other directories in the ftp that list other architectures, hopefully the 7 disc set is only meant for one architecture :D

Postcode, thanks, i just cancelled the 4th and 5th redhat8 discs.

when i'm done getting these distros, I'll have:
Mandrake: 7.1, 7.2, 8 and 9
Redhat: 8 and 9
Debian: 3.0r1
Is there any other distro worth having around? (slackware perhaps)

Mandrake 9.1 has 7 discs but only the first 3 are installation discs, the other are the src code.

Luis G said:
I'm downloading some different distros and versions, i already got redhat9, but i'd also like to get redhat8 and debian 3.0r1

I noticed that redhat9 is only 3 discs, but 8 is 5, wtf?, do i need to download them all or some discs are just the srpms?, if so then which ones should i get?.

Debian, shit, 7 discs plus an update one. Do i need the 7 discs?, also, what's up with the NONUS disc 1?, i've never seen anything like that, does the nonus disc one includes also the regular disc1??

:confuse3:

RH9 is 5 disks as well as RH8, but the last two disks are SRPMs (mosly source). For debian, download the first one. Debian puts all packages on CD, but in order of use. For example: vi, samba, squid, mysql, etc are all on the first disk. Lesser used applications are on the second disk, and so on. You can get by with just first disk, thats all I use. We have a local complete mirror here and use apt for the rest of the packages after we get the base system up and running (using the first cd). You can do the same and use debian's mirror (via internet) if needed, although this could be slow. I'd download the first three CDs. Anything thats not on those three cds can be found on Debian's website. As I remember, you have cable, so I think you'll be good to go. :wink2:

As I understand it (my boss knows more), nonus is programs not officially distributed in the US for a number of reasons, mostly having to do with encryption legalities. Not sure though, see what google groups or something has to say about that.

Found this on the debian website

There are two variants of the binary-1 CD, one with and one without software of the "non-US" category. The non-US software cannot be legally stored on servers that are located in the USA - formerly, the reason for this used to be that it contained strong cryptographic code, today it is that the programs use algorithms covered by US patents.

Everyone should fetch the non-US variant for private use; the "non-non-US" variant is useful only for US-based mirrors and vendors. The other binary CDs do not contain any "US-sensitive" software; they work perfectly well with either variant of the binary-1 CD.

A similar story holds for the source-1 and source-1_NONUS variants.

Luis G said:
Is there any other distro worth having around? (slackware perhaps)
:grinyes:

edit: 8.1 or 9.0/current both work fine, obviously the slackware-current branch is more up to date, which means playing less catch-up.

tommyj27 said:
:grinyes:

edit: 8.1 or 9.0/current both work fine, obviously the slackware-current branch is more up to date, which means playing less catch-up.
Really like slackware, but am having a bitch of a time getting mysql to run. I know its gotta be something simple....

Mirlyn said:
Really like slackware, but am having a bitch of a time getting mysql to run. I know its gotta be something simple....
i couldn't get it running how the docs on mysql's site said they should, but then again, I know nothing about sql

tommyj27 said:
i couldn't get it running how the docs on mysql's site said they should, but then again, I know nothing about sql
I've tried reading from the slackware lists, mysql lists, downloading it from slackware, downloading it from mysql, recompiling source, scratching my head, trying development code, trying old versions...everything I can think of.

Still get that damn socket error. Its a consipracy, dammit. And I know enough to play around with it, but without it, no kismet. :crying4: ;)

As soon as i install debian i'll try to get mysql running, then come back and tell you how i did it, if i ever succeed :D

Luis G said:
As soon as i install debian i'll try to get mysql running, then come back and tell you how i did it, if i ever succeed :D
Haven't tried Debian/MySQL yet (we use postgres, but it can't be too much different). I was talking about Slackware/MySQL...can't seem to get it to run "straight out of the box." :)

I'm still getting gpsdrive to work on Debian. I'm running into version conflicts--just need to sit down and focus on doing it, instead of working on it off and on.

Mirlyn said:
Haven't tried Debian/MySQL yet (we use postgres, but it can't be too much different). I was talking about Slackware/MySQL...can't seem to get it to run "straight out of the box." :)

I'm still getting gpsdrive to work on Debian. I'm running into version conflicts--just need to sit down and focus on doing it, instead of working on it off and on.

:lol: I got my wires crossed, as soon as i install slackware i'll try to install mysql....

:D

Back