linux ideas?

tommyj27

Not really Banned
this is a cross-post from catocom's so if you've already seen it, it's mostly the same thing.

some of you probably know that i'm trying to get a small linux page together (see my sig). i'm trying to come up with some content and my first plan is to start writing some articles on how to do various things in linux. stuff like configuration guides, tips and tricks, etc. a lot of the same stuff that can be found elsewhere, but more or less in my own words not as technical.

does anyone have any ideas for things they'd like to see explained? how to configure xyz program? what does this do? anything really. and if anyone actually wants to write something up i'd be more than happy to post it.

tommyj27 said:
this is a cross-post from catocom's so if you've already seen it, it's mostly the same thing.

some of you probably know that i'm trying to get a small linux page together (see my sig). i'm trying to come up with some content and my first plan is to start writing some articles on how to do various things in linux. stuff like configuration guides, tips and tricks, etc. a lot of the same stuff that can be found elsewhere, but more or less in my own words not as technical.

does anyone have any ideas for things they'd like to see explained? how to configure xyz program? what does this do? anything really. and if anyone actually wants to write something up i'd be more than happy to post it.

Setting up Exim/Apache/Imp-Horde for a web-based email server. :headbang: I need to anyway.

Ok seriously. Ummm.....maybe recompiling the kernel? Identifying/building in stuff like network cards, video cards, usb, scsi, etc. I'd suggest things like network stuff (dhcp, firewall, changing from static to dhcp) but thats pretty distro-specific. Maybe configuring/tweaking X? Cool program of the week/month?

good ideas mirlyn, someone already suggested a general/kernel compilation guide, which i think may be my first attempt.

tommyj27 said:
good ideas mirlyn, someone already suggested a general/kernel compilation guide, which i think may be my first attempt.

Seems to be generic enough to work on nearly every distro, yet always good info. Something like Tulips are ususally these brands, socket filtering, scsi emulation, etc.

Can't wait to see it. Sounds like a good one in the works. :headbang:

You need a windows to linux guide, haven't seen much of those, not even linuxnewbie has it.

Something like
In windows NT/2000/XP you have a user with administrative rights called Administrator, the equivalent of such user under linux is root.

cd remains the same
attrib is chmod (mini guide about chmod and rights)
md is mkdir
dir could be dir but i suggest you to use ls (equivalences of parameters)

etc etc

I like Luis's. I might be working on something like that for work later in the year (if I can't find a new job soon :mad:). Maybe we could compare notes on it?

FYI, the first part of the compile guide is up. If you get a chance, read it and let me know what you think.

chcr, if you want to start hacking out a newbie/convert guide (or a series) in your spare time I'd definately help, and take over if you couldn't finish it. I don't have very much experience using Red Hat, Mandrake, and the like for actual long term use. Since that seems to be the best place for recent converts to start, you may have a better grasp on it than me. My initiation to linux was trial by fire with slackware.

edit: if you don't want to start something like that, i'll run with it eventually.

if you don't want to start something like that, i'll run with it eventually.
That's kind of where I am now. If I stay where I am, I'll do one eventually because I'd like to switch some of the PCs to linux. If I move on, it might not be as important. I've used Slackware and Debian too, but I'm lazy and like RPMs. :D

Back