Linux

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
So i have a linux install CD, and a laptop.....

what kinda trouble am I gonna be in installing it?

what is the learning curve?

Which Distribution of Linux,I've used Mandrake and it was a simple install and use on a PC,a Laptop may be different.Most of the Distros have a Homepage and list compatible hardware ,thats a good palce to start.

paul_valaru said:
So i have a linux install CD, and a laptop.....

what kinda trouble am I gonna be in installing it?

what is the learning curve?

The most common problem with laptops is hardware, specially firewire support. You might not get pass the install screen.

Luis G said:
The most common problem with laptops is hardware, specially firewire support. You might not get pass the install screen.

was given it by an expert, who knew it was for my laptop, but I will look it all upi before I start.

Assuming it recognizes and configures all hardware perfectly, your first challange will be installing software, as there's no "rule" as to how installations should be made, some come in the form of rpm or deb packages, some come with an install script, and some others must be compiled and installed manually!!!

Go for it, at the very worst, remember two commands
fdisk /mbr
format c:

The most important question is: which distribution. Some of them are cake, some require you to have pretty detailed knowledge of you hardware. Most fall in between somewhere. I recommend Mandrake for noobs.

Also might want to check out Knoppix...it runs off cd completely so you can test the functionality of things before installing.....should work fine on your dell though.

Back