Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
pic00194.jpg

this is our new project at home...we're growing Triops

A little like Sea Monkeys but with the added fun of cannibalism :lloyd:

*wondering why on earth I was blessed with boys*

apparently up to 5cm *shudders*

and supposedly they live a couple months...luckily we still have another half bag of eggs, so we can do it all over again...yay?

oh, and he's allergic to shrimp so guess who gets to do all the stuff involved :tardbang:

About a week after hatching, you can feed them with commercially available fish food (e.g.TetraMin®). Additionally you can try small dead fishes or grasshoppers to provide high quality protein, minerals, etc...
:sick:

:rofl:

According to the article, they're supposed to mate and lay new eggs too. You could start farming them.

zach goes...well if they die i can feed them to dad's oscars...or even when they get old i can, that will be fun.

boys :disgust2:

Leslie said:
zach goes...well if they die i can feed them to dad's oscars...or even when they get old i can, that will be fun.

boys :disgust2:

That actually shows some very mature thinking. :lol:

:hmm: women :D

http://www3.uakron.edu/biology/triops.html

Here ya go Leslie...a site on how to breed them, their hermaphrodite habits, how to store them and with a bit of luck...how to grow enough to make a mint offof them. If 6 Triops sell for $7.00 and you can get up to;
At this point, the hermaphrodites begin to produce eggs, producing about 1 batch (or "clutch") of eggs per day. The shrimp continue to produce eggs until their death, which averages between 2 and 4 weeks of age.

1 clutch per day, per adult for 2-4 weeks...each clutch containing 100 eggs. Let's say... 1 couple (2,800 eggs max * $7/6 eggs - 466package *$7 =$3,262 in your pocket )

Back