Looking for a decent OCR engine

MrBishop

OCR - optical Character Recognition a piece of software that will interpret scanned text, and 'read' it as letters and words. You can therefore copy scanned text into MSWord etc..and edit it.

I'm looking for a decent one. Any ideas?

paul_valaru said:
IRIS readiris pro?

It's not bad depending on the version. The one that I have at home adds spaces between the letters of words. An older version doesn't learn.

MrBishop said:
It's not bad depending on the version. The one that I have at home adds spaces between the letters of words. An older version doesn't learn.

got it bundled with an $1000 scanner i got for the office, according to the paper spam that comes with it, it learns as it goes

paul_valaru said:
got it bundled with an $1000 scanner i got for the office, according to the paper spam that comes with it, it learns as it goes

Nice...AGFA scanner? The version that I have on hand now is a 2000-IRIS -

There are two traditional ones: ERM I NE, representing the white flu and black tails oF the animal: and \AIR. representing squirrel—skins with l)ack— amid belly—furs placed alternatel\ —n )rulallv shown as blue and whi it e. Each of the furs has a number of coloun variations. each with its owui nanie, htmt the t\VO origmals are by hir the commonest ill use.
I I II lI1( liIiI( itl(I(’ \\ 110 1ll SiI\(1 t) \! ‘\ t \\ (dIl(l i 1I1\ ,tiIt IS) I(t)I(SCIlI(’(t as \vI t tIc octal OR Is IISLIaIIV sllO\VI as Rat ( )l(t—t( (11 IS \(ltO\V.

This is what I just got from it...piece of shite

I used to use Abbyy FineReader at my old job. I was actually surprised at how well it worked... but then again I've never used any other software.

Only problem is price if you choose to be legal about it.

StuTheWise said:
I used to use Abbyy FineReader at my old job. I was actually surprised at how well it worked... but then again I've never used any other software.

Only problem is price if you choose to be legal about it.

Thank you, oh wise one!

I shall try it out at home first, and if it goes well, I'll convince my companies to invest in it.

I used a program called Aladdin a few years back, i don't know if it's still on the market... It worked like a charm, though. :) Try googling or whatever.

Kawaii said:
I used a program called Aladdin a few years back, i don't know if it's still on the market... It worked like a charm, though. :) Try googling or whatever.

Just found it...they don't do trials anymore. Just buy then try. Shame...I'm DLing a trial version of WebOCR - which is a web-based program to OCR scanned docs, but through their server....odd though.

Back