Looking for a utility

Kawaii

I'm looking for a harddrive-wiping utility. I heard about it a while ago, it's supposed to wipe the entire disk clean by writing only 0's over everything(or something like that), ignoring FATs and previous formatting. The reason i need this is because i'm fixing a corrupted drive for a friend... It's listed as 'Dynamic Drive' with all data used, can't be accessed and can't be touched by partitioning programs.

So, does anyone know where to find it?

Edit: That killer boot-diskette gave me a very naughty idea.

most HS mfgs have a utility that will write 0s to a drive.
If you get Like the Maxblast image, and make a disk, then
tell it to write 0s to it about 3-5 times, there won't be anything
recoverable on it. (at least it would be very-Very difficult, for even the crime able to do, If they could even do it)

What brand of drive is it?

There are also several different 3rd party utilities here...:
http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/security/fwerase.shtml

catocom said:
most HS mfgs have a utility that will write 0s to a drive.
If you get Like the Maxblast image, and make a disk, then
tell it to write 0s to it about 3-5 times, there won't be anything
recoverable on it. (at least it would be very-Very difficult, for even the crime able to do, If they could even do it)

What brand of drive is it?

There are also several different 3rd party utilities here...:
http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/security/fwerase.shtml
It's a 40 gig Samsung SV4002H. I'll check the site, thanks. :)

I thought BC wipe might be what he was thinking of too,
but it isn't free anymore I don't think, since Evidence Eliminator
took over it.

i've got a zero fill utility on a disk around here somewhere, otherwise you can use any old linux bootdisk or cd, get to a shell and do:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
assuming the drive is primary master, otherwise you have to change the of= parameter. adding bs=500000 or something similar may speed things up too.

tommyj27 said:
i've got a zero fill utility on a disk around here somewhere, otherwise you can use any old linux bootdisk or cd, get to a shell and do:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
assuming the drive is primary master, otherwise you have to change the of= parameter. adding bs=500000 or something similar may speed things up too.
Me too. Used to use Norton DiskDoctor (old school) but after the drives got bigger I switched. Took me 5 days to write zeros to a 20gig when they first came out, and shortly after I switched to a tomsrtbt disk which did the same task within hours. Simple must be better. :D

Back