Los Tres Reyes

MrBishop

Today is Epiphany - In Spain...they're celebrating "Los Tres Reyes" or the Three Kings (Instead of Christmas)

Since MrsBish is Spanish, I thought to put this up on her behalf. :D

**Not a lot of really religious types on here but its the thought that counts**

unclehobart said:
The three kings being? The father, the son, and the holy spirit? ... they are hyper Catholic after all.

Melchor, Gaspar and Baltazar.

They bring gifts to the kids as well (just like Santa). :rolleyes:

Translates as the three kings, but it's more accurate as the Three Wise Men :)

[edit] Or what Luis put :)

I was thinking that as well. LOL

I think it was renamed as Balthazar to be more hip with the times... the same as Tolkien renaming Melchor into Melkor as the head evil diety.

Its a big 'ol anti catholic conspiracy, I tells ya.

Should I also mention Gaspar the Friendly Ghost?

Luis G said:
Melchor, Gaspar and Baltazar.

They bring gifts to the kids as well (just like Santa). :rolleyes:

What an awful thing bringing gifts to children.
rolleyes.gif

HeXp£Øi± said:
What an awful thing bringing gifts to children.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, let me know when you have a monthly income of US$200 and each kid of yours wants over US$300 in gifts. Ohh and double that, because Santa brings them, and the Reyes Magos brings them.

Luis G said:
Yeah, let me know when you have a monthly income of US$200 and each kid of yours wants over US$300 in gifts. Ohh and double that, because Santa brings them, and the Reyes Magos brings them.

:rolleyes: That's called either bad parenting, or credit out the wazoo.

On a side note...what a child wants, what a child needs, and what a child gets are seperate issues.

Luis G said:

If i let my daughter watch an hour of commercials a day she'd probably want $300 in toys too. I don't however and she's always overjoyed at whatever she gets. Anyway, If you teach your child that it's about getting all kinds of goodies than i guess you can expect it. Teach them that it's about giving(not necessarily material objects) and it can be a very enjoyable experience.

Gato_Solo said:
:rolleyes: That's called either bad parenting, or credit out the wazoo.

On a side note...what a child wants, what a child needs, and what a child gets are seperate issues.

That's why I don't agree with the whole idea. Buy them gifts for the occasion, but don't fool them into thinking that some magic being is getting them.

In a country where there's a more than clear contrast between classes, boys can only grow up frustrated because "Santa did not bring them what they wanted, and the rich guy got everything and more".

Luis G said:
That's why I don't agree with the whole idea. Buy them gifts for the occasion, but don't fool them into thinking that some magic being is getting them.

That i can agree with.

That's about what I think too. It's pretty sad when a kid thinks Santa like him more than his own parents, cause Santa bought him more than the parents did.

so this is only totally random and all but...back to that biblical sounding tolkien character...didn't he have an ork named shadrach? forgive me if the spelling is off i've only heard the books...except for the hobbit- i read that before my eyes got too bad.

Back