lost Vets...

GrandCaravanSE

So recently it came to my attention that a lot of the WWII vets are dying. Every day when I read the paper I see at least 3 to 4 of the American flags next to obituaries, this means that the person who died was a veteran. It makes me kind of sad to see them go. I am sure there are many stories that have not been shared, maybe even secrets that should be heard. As my favorite war I love to learn about it first hand from veterans, I love it, it is awesome to hear what they have to say about the war, funny stories, sad stories, or amazing bravery. I am going to hate the day that the last veteran dies from WWII.

So recently it came to my attention that a lot of the WWII vets are dying. Every day when I read the paper I see at least 3 to 4 of the American flags next to obituaries, this means that the person who died was a veteran. It makes me kind of sad to see them go. I am sure there are many stories that have not been shared, maybe even secrets that should be heard. As my favorite war I love to learn about it first hand from veterans, I love it, it is awesome to hear what they have to say about the war, funny stories, sad stories, or amazing bravery. I am going to hate the day that the last veteran dies from WWII.

yeah old timers love to talk about that kind of stuff.

if you have the time, why not record some of their stories?

oral history.

One problem with getting oral history from WWII veterans is that a lot of them refuse to talk about what they went through. Before my grandfather passed away in October 2004, I knew he was a veteran in the European Theater in WWII and got a purple heart. I didn't learn more until after he passed away and my grandmother showed me a book of recollections from others in his unit. He was in Struth and Dorna in Germany (not sure which of the two) and got hit with shrapnel from a shell that hit a tank.

the wisdom of our elder generations is one of the most underused resources we have. maybe they cant google, but they sure know a ton of other more useful things

Good timing for a thread - tomorrow's OUR Remembrance day. :canada:

One of the places that I worked at had several Vets from WWII. Many wouldn't talk about the war...unless it was to talk about those friends that passed on in the war or since. One is an exception, and does a radio interview every year on Remembrance Day.

Yea i have noticed that alot of the vets just don't want to talk about the war at all, if they are like that i just talk about current news. oh yes and Happy Veteran's to all american soldiers, and a happy Remembrance day to all the canadian soldiers who fought as well.

Back