Loud humming?

Anon

Just wondering, lately I've experinced a loud humming (kind of like a car revving) when I turn my computer on (not all the time, just twice so far), and if I restart, it usually stops. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

greenfreak

That happens to my Dell Optiplexes just before the power supply fan gives out. You should check your fans, make sure they're turning right.

Could be a cable resting against one of the fans too but that would probably continue while it's on for a while.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. One of your fans is about to bite the big one. You can usually tell if your case is open by the one that's spinning in a jerky manner.

ris

you probably need to open it up and stick your head in there to work out which one is screwed. it'll be the one making no noise at all or spinning up and down constantly.

Anon

well...my fans look ok but after I restart my comp w/o the humming, it always brings me to the BIOS screen and says I tried to start with an illegal CPU speed or something (which is strange since I never fool around with the BIOS settings) Any ideas? Thanks

Anon

well....when it did it this morning, I picked the option to restore settings to default...hopefully that worked

Aunty Em

Not necessarily... my 2nd board's default speed is 500MHz using settings of 100 fsb 5x multiplier which considering the cpu is 1GHz would fail to boot if I returned it to it's default.

What speed is your processor and what is it's fsb?

The settings should be the fsb x however many times the fsb needs to be multiplied to equal the speed of the processor e.g a 1 GHz cpu with an fsb of 100 has a mulitplier of 10, so the settings are fsb 100 and mulplier 10x in the bios. If it has an fsb of 133 the multiplier is 7.5. You need to check that they are correct and change and save them in the BIOS if they aren't.

Sorry if you know this already but you haven't given any indication of what level computer user you are.

Raven

Annoying SOB
One of my Seagate HDD's likes to make a noise like that when starting up too....check that oh and check that none of the screws have come loose on your CPU or chassis fans

Nihilistic

Capitalizing Bastich
I have no idea, my CPU fan sounds like a jet engine

thanks to kruz for the hand me down beast that an rip a finger clean off the joint

i had a similar noise coem from my old powersupplie..which shorted out my ram, motherboard, cpu,hdd, and vid card..it was no good..i think i cried and them mauled it to death with a screwdriver and cut myself on a transister

Anon

Aunty Em said:
Not necessarily... my 2nd board's default speed is 500MHz using settings of 100 fsb 5x multiplier which considering the cpu is 1GHz would fail to boot if I returned it to it's default.

What speed is your processor and what is it's fsb?

The settings should be the fsb x however many times the fsb needs to be multiplied to equal the speed of the processor e.g a 1 GHz cpu with an fsb of 100 has a mulitplier of 10, so the settings are fsb 100 and mulplier 10x in the bios. If it has an fsb of 133 the multiplier is 7.5. You need to check that they are correct and change and save them in the BIOS if they aren't.

Sorry if you know this already but you haven't given any indication of what level computer user you are.

whooosh....completely over my head :lol:

Aunty Em

And there was me trying to keep it simple. :( :lol:

If you have a friend who knows what he's doing just ask him to check it out.

Anon

lol...what do you want? /ponder

This kind of sucks too since my old power supply was only like 8 months old...grrrr :p

greenfreak

Anon said:
This kind of sucks too since my old power supply was only like 8 months old...grrrr :p

Do you have a warranty on it? I don't know how long PS warranties usually run, if it's a 30 or 90 day dealie or what. But maybe the store will give you something for it. :shrug: