Love and understanding

unclehobart

Wife Kills Spouse with Axe Blows to Groin

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - A Cambodian woman who murdered her husband by axing him repeatedly in the groin before running off with her son-in-law has been sentenced to 15 years in jail, officials said Friday.

But 35-year-old Chhoeun Sovann, from Kompong Thom province 100 km (60 miles) northeast of Phnom Penh, is not yet behind bars.

Six years after the murder, prosecutors say they cannot find her. The verdict was handed down in absentia.

In a case shocking even by Cambodian standards, Chhoeun Sovann set about battering her husband to death with the blunt end of an axe, the blows falling mainly on his groin.

"She fell in love with her son-in-law, which was against her husband's wishes. Finally, she had to kill her husband so she could escape with her lover," female presiding judge Sim Samoeu told Reuters.

"It is totally unacceptable in Cambodia that a wife should kill her husband by smashing his genitals," the judge said. "After hours of deliberation, I decided to punish her with 15 years in jail."

She also awarded the victim's family compensation of two million riels ($500) -- nearly double the average Cambodian annual wage.

Under Cambodia's notoriously erratic and ineffective judicial system, trials in absentia are relatively common as are cases of convicted criminals enjoying their freedom for years after receiving hefty jail sentences.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=573&ncid=573&e=5&u=/nm/20021115/od_nm/crime_cambodia_axe_dc

It is totally unacceptable in Cambodia that a wife should kill her husband by smashing his genitals," the judge said

Talk about a dramatic understatement... That just cracks me up.

I can't believe that they only gave her 15 years. If that had been some Mideast country, they would have wanted to execute her by some terrible means.

"After hours of deliberation, I decided to punish her with 15 years in jail."

WHAT!? Hours? Hell, just reading the story for :20 seconds made me convict her.

LastLegionary said:
Luis G said:
Only 15 years? that should be 20 years.
:rolleyes: Honestly, whats the difference between 15 and 20 years?

She should be sentenced to death for murder.

This isn't the old and brutal eye for an eye era.

unclehobart said:
It is totally unacceptable in Cambodia that a wife should kill her husband by smashing his genitals," the judge said

Talk about a dramatic understatement... That just cracks me up.

:yell: STOPSAYINGEXACTLYWHATIWASGONNASAYSOSTHATICANACTUALLYPOSTSUMMINKEUNCLEHOBO!!!!!!

Luis G said:
This isn't the old and brutal eye for an eye era.

Capital punishment doesn't equate to "an eye for an eye." We don't chop off the hands of theives, or cut off the genitals of rapists, etc. The death sentence doesn't by itself imply a primitive notion of justice.

I would like to hear you defend a 15 year sentence for murder. What notion of justice are you using?

Ardsgaine said:
The death sentence doesn't by itself imply a primitive notion of justice.

Then you must have a very primitive notion of the word primitive.

Ardsgaine said:
I would like to hear you defend a 15 year sentence for murder. What notion of justice are you using?

I can't defend a sentence for murder, but i don't support death penalty. I don't have a problem with Perpetual sentence thou.

It is totally unacceptable in Cambodia that a wife should kill her husband by smashing his genitals
Gee, you'd think that'd be unacceptable everywhere else too, except in the case of maybe the death sentence of a rapist. Just what kind of method of a wife killing her husband does he consider acceptable?

fury said:
It is totally unacceptable in Cambodia that a wife should kill her husband by smashing his genitals
Gee, you'd think that'd be unacceptable everywhere else too, except in the case of maybe the death sentence of a rapist. Just what kind of method of a wife killing her husband does he consider acceptable?

I thought that before you wrote it! :p

There is one thing to consider in this matter. There are two sides to it. What happened before she killed him? Since she isn't there to tell it, we don't know.

Back