Love of Country Music

MrBishop

This one's for Nixy :)

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western
~from Blues Brothers.

I can't say that I adore country music to the point where I go out of my way to buy an album or tune in a station... but there are some good singers out there with simple tunes and lyrics that tug at heartstrings.

Just thought that I'd give Nix and Slim a thread to hack out their love of country music

Interestingly enough I'm not listening to a country song right now...I'm listening to TLC "Redlight special" but I just finished listening to some Toby Keith. Man, he has a song about "What happens in mexico stays in Mexico" if that's true I'd like to meet him in Mexico :D

I grew up listening to country. I still don't mind the occasional Don Williams tune.

I worked five years as a DJ at a country station. Maybe two songs a year would come out that didn't make me wanna barf. Course, realize that this was the heyday of Ronnie Milsap, Crystal Gayle, Alabama, and similar ilk. I showed up every shift to spin those solid gold country classics...in my KISS and Ozzy tour shirts.

Now, I don't hate it quite as much as I used to. There'll be a song every so often that I like. "Boondocks" is cool, as is "Daddy Won't Sell The Farm". Given the choice, I'd take it over rap, hip hop, or pop. I'd also take classical over country though. It just doesn't require a buttload of ability to play country music. Yes, there are exceptions...but ask most any accomplished musician and you'll find that it's pretty simple stuff. Throw in the fact that very very few artists write their own material, and you get a twang version of pop fluff, which just doesn't yank my crank.

I also interned in Nashville with a Music Row artist manager, and met a lot of the big deals in the industry. I was far from impressed with them as human beings. Likely, that's true across the board regardless of genre though.

I listen to EVERYTHING...I had the radio in the office on the country station for a couple of weeks since Red was trying to win something...now back on classic rock...but, I have a Jazz/classical station, sports talk radio, rap, heavy metal, classic rock, classic country, new country, and soft rock all programmed into my radio

one of my favorite jokes:

what do you get when you play a country song backwards?

your wife comes home, you get your job back, you get your truck back, your dog comes back to life....

Dave said:
one of my favorite jokes:

what do you get when you play a country song backwards?

your wife comes home, you get your job back, you get your truck back, your dog comes back to life....
:rofl4:

Aw C'Mon Esse & pee pee

which is dah best Album(s)

1976 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
1976 High Voltage
1977 Let There Be Rock
1978 Power Age
1978 Powerage
1979 Highway to Hell
1980 Back in Black
1981 For Those About To Rock
1983 Flick of the Switch
1984 '74 Jalbreak
1985 Fly on the Wall
1986 Who Made Who
1988 Blow Up Your Video
1990 The Razor's Edge
1995 Ballbreaker
2000 Stiff Upper Lip

For my money, Powerage is the best one. And your list doesn't include the Live CD or If You Want Blood. Or the Bonfire box set for that matter.

Agh, agh, agh, noooooooooooooooooo... not country, please don't play any country music! :errrr:

I think I'm gonna barf! *puke*

I like country music but mostly female singers. I went thru a country 'stage' years ago with my ex-girl (yea, she liked boot scootin' :rolleyes: ). But after two years of mostly country, I found myself deeply depressed....had to stop listening to it.

AC/DC sucks. They have maybe two songs I even remotely like. If there's one thing I can't stand it's bands who scream the lyrics. Never liked Judas Priest for that reason either.

At heart I'm a classic rock fan.

Aunty Em said:
Agh, agh, agh, noooooooooooooooooo... not country, please don't play any country music! :errrr:

I think I'm gonna barf! *puke*

Then don't come in the thread...Country is the best.

I don't particularly have anything against country music except for having played it five nights a week for about a decade. Just not interested anymore.

Back