Mac pipples

chcr

Too cute for words
My lovely bride wants a Mac. Since a new one is out of the question (nothing gets that much spent on it until I have HDTV) I'm looking at a G4 Imac on ebay. Anything I should be looking for?

Also, is it one of the original-style iMacs (well, it would be a "second generation" because the slot-loading drives, instead of the laptop-style CD-ROM drives, came out before they switched from G3 processors), or is it that big paperweight with the screen on an arm sticking out of the top of it?

Inky, I haven't really picked a specific one out yet but it will have at minimum a gig of RAM and the fastest processor I can afford. Isn't 1.42 the fastest G4? I think all the G4s are the paperweight/table lamp style. I'm also going to try to get one with virtual PC (she's not big on figuring out new stuff, she thinks that's what she has me for).

There were a few original-style iMacs with G4s in them... not many though. There's an eMac in the office with 512 megs of RAM and a 733 MHz processor and it does OK. You'll be happier with the gig of RAM, and over a 1 GHz processor will be plenty.

I was making sure you weren't going to get something with, say, a G4-450 MHz or something. That would be awful.

Oh, also... if you get the iMac, make sure to get a two-button scroll mouse. One doesn't realize how nice the second button and the scroll wheel are until using a one-button mac mouse. OS X recognizes the second button and the scroll wheel natively.

Actually, a vendor from work has suggested a Mac Mini. We can keep using the 19" crt until we can afford a really good display and Dara already has a wireless usb keyboard and mouse (Logitech). Is there anything special about mac lcds?

OSX can run on as little as a 400MHz G3 with 384MB of Ram (I know because I have exactly that in a "bondi blue" iMac), and it runs quite smoothly, so a 1GHz + 512-1024MB of Ram should be more than enough. It's not like it's gonna be a game machine.

I have a 400 MHz G3 server, with 384 MB of RAM I believe, at home with OSX 10.4 Tiger... I think that's the name of it... the version with Dashboard. It's SLOW.

As for the keyboard... you can use a PC keyboard with a mac but some of the keys are different. (ctrl, alt, so on like that).

The fruity computer has arrived. I had work to do, may set it up this weekend.
If anyone cares, Mac Mini, Leopard, 1.83 dual core, 1 gig DDR, 80 gig hdd and a combo drive. Oh, also got a free (after rebate) Epson all in one and Office 2004 (for Mac) with a free upgrade to 2008. If'n I figgers out how to work it I'll post from Safari sometime.

As far as Winders goes, I'll remote desktop an XP box for her but I don't think she'll need it so I'll steal it back later.

Hopefully the ink is reasonable on the Epson. If so thumbs up on that! I have EXCELLENT experience with Epson printers. IMHO they are the most durable brand of printer made today.

Hopefully the ink is reasonable on the Epson. If so thumbs up on that! I have EXCELLENT experience with Epson printers. IMHO they are the most durable brand of printer made today.

Ink looks okay, I have a pretty good source through work. Through my corporate account I get a fairly good break on ink and toner. The head of my department is very "liberal" (gasp, say it ain't so) about ordering personal supplies through the company. Of course, I am the head of the department. ;) In fact, unless I need extra help for a special project, I am the department. :D

I'll hook it all up this weekend. I gots copious amounts of food, beer and pie to consume today and I'm working tomorrow.

Back