Magnitude 6.3 Earthquake Strikes Hawaii

highwayman

Hope the people are OK there...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-10-15-13-59-26
HONOLULU (AP) -- An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 struck Hawaii early Sunday morning, waking up residents and knocking out power.

The U.S. Geological Survey also reported several aftershocks, including one measuring a magnitude of 5.8. No damage reports were immediately available.

The quake occurred at 7:07 a.m. local time, 10 miles north-northwest of Kailua Kona, a town on the west coast of the Big Island, said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center, part of the U.S. Geological Survey.

Na and Ku'u live out on the east side of the island. Her sisters live out over there on the west side though.

On the big island?
If that is the case then the power could be out because from what I have seen the 'quakes are a bit north of there..

Oh OK, if they lived on Oahu they would not be afected too much. Yup your right, Hilo is on the other side of the island but they still have a chance of losing electricity...

Oh OK, if they lived on Oahu they would not be afected too much. Yup your right, Hilo is on the other side of the island but they still have a chance of losing electricity...

The funny thing is Oahu had it worst than we did!! My folks live there and their power was out 'til 10 at night. The entire island was shut down, no electricity, water had to be conserved because the pumps were down, it was a total mess over there. The airport was operating at minimum.

I think the tourists had it worst. Hotels were down, restaurants closed. The news reported that many didn't have cash because ATMs were down.

I'm so glad our state is mellow and there were no reports of rioting!!

Back