Making the grade...

My wife teaches nursing clinicals for a local community college. She says you can't believe how kids argue about their grades. She's pretty good at shutting them up, but she says some of the instructors give in from time to time.

Hell, when I was in college if you had argued about a B you'd have been lucky to get a D the rest of the semester.

We didn't argue. A mark was what you damn well earned. But then, we had respect for the teachers too, and didn't have to pass metal detectors on the way to class.

highwayman said:
This is called the bell curve...

Nope. The Bell curve lists the average. These grades being inflated are at the top end of the scale. SnP got it right on the head with his "$" quote...

I mean, c'mon. We all know colleges are (by and large) judged more on how their football team performs than by how their debate team does. There are obvious exceptions, like Vanderbilt and the Ivy Leaguers. But I guarantee that more of us can name 15 of the football top 25 teams than could name 5 of the top 25 colleges in any academic discipline. Notre Dame is on TV every Saturday of the fall because of their sports team, not their law school. That's big bucks right there, and some of it trickles to the academics. Most goes right back into the sports though. Think Duke builds new classrooms with medical grants or ticket sales to Coach K Arena?

I mean, c'mon. We all know colleges are (by and large) judged more on how their football team performs than by how their debate team does. There are obvious exceptions, like Vanderbilt and the Ivy Leaguers. But I guarantee that more of us can name 15 of the football top 25 teams than could name 5 of the top 25 colleges in any academic discipline. Notre Dame is on TV every Saturday of the fall because of their sports team, not their law school. That's big bucks right there, and some of it trickles to the academics. Most goes right back into the sports though. Think Duke builds new classrooms with medical grants or ticket sales to Coach K Arena?

This article mentioned Harvard by name. Just FYI. :D

strangely i feel like i earned my perfect 4.0 grade point in both my master's and ph.d. programs. and when i briefly taught, i didn't hesitate to give people exactly what they deserved.

...and when i entered grades for people in an exclusive, corporate program that i helped run, that gave us over $1mil a year... i cringed as what should have been "fuck you, loser" grades magically became low Bs. but hey, i was "just following orders." ick.

yep. it's the moo-lah.

strangely i feel like i earned my perfect 4.0 grade point in both my master's and ph.d. programs. and when i briefly taught, i didn't hesitate to give people exactly what they deserved.

...and when i entered grades for people in an exclusive, corporate program that i helped run, that gave us over $1mil a year... i cringed as what should have been "fuck you, loser" grades magically became low Bs. but hey, i was "just following orders." ick.

yep. it's the moo-lah.

:rofl:

Back