Man pays bill with 74 14-pound boxes of pennies

Spyidy

[/siz]

TRAVERSE CITY - A landlord-tenant dispute over the condition of an office ended with the payment of $1,853.87 Monday - with 185,387 pennies.
The pennies, boxed and shrink-wrapped to disguise what they were, were dropped off at the Powerhouse Gym in a delivery arranged by Matthew Mokanyk, president of Landtech, a surveying company that had been court-ordered to pay the sum.
Mokanyk, who disputes that he should have lost a small claims lawsuit filed by his former landlord, said he decided to have some fun making the payment.
"It took us two weeks to get the pennies," Mokanyk said. "The bank called us when they were ready and we had to have four guys go over and pick them up."
Mokanyk also had to hire a delivery company to wrap the boxes and drop them off at the gym. He says the prank cost him around $1,000 above what he owed.
Deliverers used a forklift to unload a pallet topped with 74 14-pound boxes of pennies from a pickup truck. Each box contained $25 in pennies in a load that weighed more than half a ton.
When the deliverers asked Powerhouse owner Norm Schaub to sign for the delivery and he asked what it was, they claimed they were not sure. Schaub assumed it was gym equipment, said Paul Schaub, Norm's brother.
"We have stuff coming all the time so Norm just signed for the delivery," Paul Schaub said. "What he actually signed was the acceptance of the delivery."
The event left the Schaubs shaking their heads, wondering how to spend $1,853.87 worth of pennies.
"It's considered legal tender," said Adam Schaub, the owner's son and manager of the gym. "But one good thing is my dad's been a coin collector all his life, so when he got back he just laughed and said, 'Oh, it's no big deal,' " Adam Schaub said
In the suit, the Schaubs claimed that Mokanyk, who leased an office at the front of the Cass Road gym for 18 months, frayed carpets when his employees moved heavy printing equipment around.
Mokanyk disputes that, saying the carpet was worn when he moved in and suffered only routine wear and tear. He denies that he housed anything other than office equipment at the property.
In October, District Judge Thomas Gilbert ruled in favor of the Schaubs, ordering Landtech to pay around $3,000 in damages plus costs, less a $1,200 security deposit.
Mokanyk arrived at the gym shortly after completing the prank to have a laugh and snap a picture of the truckload of pennies. But he said he also dropped off a gift certificate for four to a restaurant for the Schaubs to prove that there are no hard feelings.

http://www.record-eagle.com/2002/nov/13penny.htm

thats so great.

unclehobart

4 guys were needed to haul 74-14 lb cases? ... What a bunch of pussies. That just sounds like a typical run to the grocery store for a family of 6.

Jeslek

Banned
unclehobart said:
4 guys were needed to haul 74-14 lb cases? ... What a bunch of pussies. That just sounds like a typical run to the grocery store for a family of 6.
1,034 pounds of groceries? Gee....

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
unclehobart said:

Family of 8 here, not far off.

greenfreak

Then why fight for it in the first place? :shrug:

If I had that kind of cash, I'd want to keep as much of it as possible. Or at least spend it on something worthwile. Like computer equipment. ;)

Jeslek

Banned
greenfreak said:
Then why fight for it in the first place? :shrug:

If I had that kind of cash, I'd want to keep as much of it as possible. Or at least spend it on something worthwile. Like computer equipment. ;)
Not boyfriends? :crying3:

Thats an unsettling thought... having a girlfriend with a bigger, better, and faster computer than me. :eek: Gee greenie, now you've induced insomnia. ;)