Marriage

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
a couple of weeks ago i was told this about marriage:
Marriage is like two cows tied by a cord and 2 piles of food separated by 1m more than the lenght of the cord.

Eventually, they will want to eat, and each will pull the cord in his/her direction, the result: no one eats, until both realize that pulling the cord is not the way to do it, both should go and both eat one pile of food and then proceed to go the other pile.

Good choice of words Luis.

Like life itself, a gift, I believe it to be much less about what we can get from it, and infinately more about what we can contribute to it.

No holds barred....

No expectations......

Only realizin' the truth and walkin' in faith. :)

Is marriage even neccesary? Yes, I'm engaged but can't I be engaged to one man WITHOUT actually getting married? I think it would be easier to promised our lives to each other without having to go through an elaborate ceremony. From what I've seen, married couples aren't as happy as though who choose just to live together for the rest of days without the title husband and wife

its not really necessary but some people feel it is as a way of showing commitment and some others just feel its something special. but necessary no. people can be committed without it

freako104 said:
i dont think ill get married in the first place ;)

Funny, I can count on one hand right off the top of my head the number of people I knew in High School who said the same thing not more than four years ago...all married and fathers/mothers, most with more than one kid. ;)

tonks said:
i don't believe i will ever, ever get married again...but who hasn't said that?
* Raises hand

* Checks Marriage License

Yep, I'm an idiot.

Let me see if I can use some sort of cow analogy to describe my marriage...

... I seem to be unable to do it... although a cow would be able to do as much cleaning as Brandi did.

Mirlyn said:
Funny, I can count on one hand right off the top of my head the number of people I knew in High School who said the same thing not more than four years ago...all married and fathers/mothers, most with more than one kid. ;)

i get that a lot. the difference? im 24 and i am saying it ;)

From what I've seen, married couples aren't as happy as though who choose just to live together for the rest of days without the title husband and wife[/QUOTE]

It depends on the couple. I was with mine for 8 years before we got married and we're just as happy now, even though we have the husband/wife title. It depends on the couple and their commitment level to each.

No, no one HAS to get married, it's a choice that some decide to take and other don't.

Marriage? the vast majority of my married friends, with only one or two exceptions, got married for the legal and tax benefits. One couple never planned on getting married until one of them was in the hospital, and his partner realized that she had absolutely no rights as far as his treatment in the hospital went. They quietly got married a week after he was released. Other couples have gotten married to be eligible fo health insurance, and still others for the tax benefits. :shrug:

Ms Ann Thrope said:
Marriage? the vast majority of my married friends, with only one or two exceptions, got married for the legal and tax benefits. One couple never planned on getting married until one of them was in the hospital, and his partner realized that she had absolutely no rights as far as his treatment in the hospital went. They quietly got married a week after he was released. Other couples have gotten married to be eligible fo health insurance, and still others for the tax benefits. :shrug:

Don't they have defacto rights over there? :confused:

CydCharisse said:
From what I've seen, married couples aren't as happy as though who choose just to live together for the rest of days without the title husband and wife

I personally think that might have something to do with the type of people that often get married rather than the relationship itself...chances are that if many of the couples whose marriages ende din divorce had just been commonlaw they still would have split...when people get married JUST cause they got pregnant, or just cause for some reason they see living togetehr without marriage as a sin so they marry before they are ready or those who marry for many other reasons...it's not the fact that they got married that ruined it I don't think...it's the fact that they woudln't have made it work either way.,..

Back