Marriage..

Inkara1

Pawn shops have two ways of going about it. You can sell an item to the pawn shop or you can use it as collateral for a loan.

Brandi pawned her wedding ring for $20. She could have gotten the ring back for that $20 plus $16 in fees. I'm quite sure she intended to never go back, though. I imagine she could have gotten more for the ring. I paid $360-ish for hers. I don't know what the guy at the pawn shop would have appraised it for, but the maximum she could have gotten would probably be less than half the value they say it is at the pawn shop.

When I went to the pawn shop (different shop but same idea), I mentioned that Caity's ring was worth approximately $4500 when I got it and the guy told me that they try to sell jewelry for about half of what it would cost new at the jewelry store. They also have to make a profit. So I'd have gotten less than half the value of the ring. I'd have sold it to the shop instead of using it as collateral for a loan. So I'd have probably gotten less than $2000 for it... probably a lot less. One thing to remember, too, is that they value it at what they think they can sell it for... and people looking at pawn shops for jewelry are probably (in general) the kind of people who can't tell the difference between an iffy-quality diamond and a top-quality diamond.

Whereas since the store I got it from worked with me, I got a good bit more than that in a check, plus I have the store credit for whatever jewelry I may need later.

Ebay might be your best course of action... you might be better off with craigslist. Set a fair price for it and if you're willing to wait a few days, everyone will win because you'd get more than the pawn shop would give you and the buyer would pay less.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I hope you learned your lesson...the third time you buy a ring I hope it's for the right girl...

That said, I wanna pawn a necklace Chris gave me...I don't care how much i get for it, I just want enough to buy a nice silver necklace...how much below value do pawnshops usually give?
Nix, around here, pawnshops only generally give the value of the weight of the gold.

It comes to nothing. Go to a jewelry store first.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
As some of you know Luis G and me are getting married. What would be your advice for us?

:love:

In all things, good bad and indifferent, major or minor, always pause to remember why you fell in love to begin with. It not only maintains the spark, it keeps a healthy perspective when (not if) problems and differences arise.

Inkara1

Nix, around here, pawnshops only generally give the value of the weight of the gold.

It comes to nothing. Go to a jewelry store first.

They don't give anything for the stones? That's where the value is, especially with good quality diamonds. The money I got yesterday was for the diamonds... they're reusable in a different setting so they'll scrap the setting they're in now.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Pawn shops sell high & buy low.

You'll get squat. Sell it on fleabay

Yes, I was trying to get an idea of HOW low...like 10% of its value when new...20% of its value when new...etc.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Piccies as per Prof's request...

From what I can see the chain is 14k and the heart is 10k. I am currently using the chain for a silver "greek key" charm that I got in Greece...that's why I wanna buy a silver chain...I don't wanna keep wearing the chain the crazy gave me.

The pics aren't the best, my camera is being stupid. I threw the nickel in the one pic for size comparison, there are three little diamonds on the one side of the heart.

Mare

Gess, where the heck have I been! Congrats to the lucky couple!
Live, Love, and Laugh is my motto! Be happy and enjoy each other to the fullest.

COMMUNICATION!
COMMUNICATION!
COMMUNICATION!

Thats all I have to say about that!:retard3:

Uki Chick

Communication is key. Be open and honest with each other. Help each other out, laugh together, enjoy each others company.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Never place yourself in a situation of temptation. No matter how innocent it seems, distrust & divorce start there.