McCain and Pinochet

MrBishop

John McCain, who has harshly criticized the idea of sitting down with dictators without pre-conditions, appears to have done just that. In 1985, McCain traveled to Chile for a friendly meeting with Chile's military ruler, General Augusto Pinochet, one of the world's most notorious violators of human rights credited with killing more than 3,000 civilians and jailing tens of thousands of others.
The private meeting between McCain and dictator Pinochet has gone previously un-reported anywhere.

Don't shoot the messenger

Any attempt to create a moral equivalence between McCain's actions and Obama’s statements about sitting down with I'minajihad is deceptive, as, unlike Iran, the Pinochet regime was not an enemy of the US.

Any attempt to create a moral equivalence between McCain's actions and Obama’s statements about sitting down with I'minajihad is deceptive, as, unlike Iran, the Pinochet regime was not an enemy of the US.

You're right it's ok to sit down with murderous dictators you indorse.

yeah. and the house of saud is our buddiez too!

:coffee:

Stalin, during WWII,

the enemy of my enemy may not be my friend, but he makes a dandy ally while I can use him.

Yes, but you have to remember that, according to Obama, "If you think about it...Venezuela and Iran are tiny countries compared to the Soviet Union....they don't pose a threat to the United States."

Senator Edward Kennedy arrived only 12 days after McCain in a highly public show of support for democracy. Demonstrators pelted his entourage with eggs and blocked the road from the airport, so that the Senator had to be transported by helicopter to the city, where he met with Catholic church and human rights leaders and large groups of opposition activists.

:rofl3:

Yes, but you have to remember that, according to Obama, "If you think about it...Venezuela and Iran are tiny countries compared to the Soviet Union....they don't pose a threat to the United States."

Damn you really screwed up that quote. Did you do that on purpose to be misleading?

"Strong countries and strong Presidents talk to their adversaries. That's what Kennedy did with Khrushchev. That's what Reagan did with Gorbachev. That's what Nixon did with Mao. I mean think about it. Iran, Cuba, Venezuela -- these countries are tiny compared to the Soviet Union. They don't pose a serious threat to us the way the Soviet Union posed a threat to us. And yet we were willing to talk to the Soviet Union at the time when they were saying we're going to wipe you off the planet."

Back