McCain: The right stuff?

MrBishop

Since last January, Sen. Obama's fitness for the presidency has been the only question that matters in American politics. The pollsters and pundits agree that if Obama can show the voters that he's up to the job, he'll win. If not, he won't.
But that begs another question: Is McCain fit to lead America?

That question hasn't been asked, nor has it been answered.

The assumption seems to be that McCain's years of experience in the military and in Congress of course give him the background and tools he'd need in the White House. As Britney might say, "Duh! For sure he's qualified!!! He's Mac!!!"

But is that true? Does McCain have the right stuff?

A careful look at McCain's biography shows that he isn't prepared for the job. His resume is much thinner than most people think.

Here are some reasons why McCain would be a mediocre president.
Market Watch

compensating for a lack of real self-driven achievement through tough-talking blowhardedness. an american tradition.

eeeeyup.

apparently he was something like 894th out of 899 in his class at annapolis. that might even be worse than dubya's "gentleman's Cs."

WASHINGTON -- Asked in 1957 what would determine his government's course, Harold Macmillan, Britain's new prime minister, replied, "Events, dear boy, events."

Now, into America's trivializing presidential campaign, a pesky event has intruded -- a European war. Russian tanks, heavy artillery, strategic bombers, ballistic missiles and a naval blockade batter a European nation.

We are not past such things after all. The end of history will be postponed, again.

The phone's ringing. Don't they know it's 3am? :shrug:

"Russian military forces crossed an internationally recognized border into the sovereign territory of Georgia. The very existence of independent Georgia — and the survival of democratically elected government — are at stake.

"Russia has used violence against Georgia to send a signal to any country that chooses to associate with the West and aspire to our shared political and economic values."

Oblahma's entire campaign has been overcompensation for his inadequacies.

"I strongly condemn the outbreak of violence in Georgia, and urge an immediate end to armed conflict. Now is the time for Georgia and Russia to show restraint, and to avoid an escalation to full scale war.

"Georgia's territorial integrity must be respected. All sides should enter into direct talks on behalf of stability in Georgia, and the United States, the United Nations Security Council, and the international community should fully support a peaceful resolution to this crisis."

eeeeyup.

apparently he was something like 894th out of 899 in his class at annapolis. that might even be worse than dubya's "gentleman's Cs."

I dunno. :shrug: As far as idioms go I think Obama's "all sizzle and no steak" is worse.

mel martinez (R-FL) just said something on the daily show like...

"mccain can't go head to head with obama."

i can't wait to see them debate. anybody remember admiral stockdale's fabulous "crumble into mister magoo" debate style? well, we may see something similar.

I just got a vicious papercut of a donation request envelope from McCain's campaign staff. I should sue. Think I got a case?

i can't wait to see them debate.

Yes. It will be a blood bath:

OBAMA: Uh, uh, are, uh, uh, uh, um. That's -- that's a bunch -- so -- so let me tick these off. Deh... Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, um, uh. So the issue is not a perception that, uh... Weh, weh, let me put it this way. Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, We're -- we're trying to -- you know, we've got a bipartisan group here and -- and -- and, uh, uh, uh, uh, um, uh, uh, uh.

Yes. It will be a blood bath:

the thing is, obama, despite his use of "um" (i sympathize, i do that too) is able to come up with fairly intelligent responses to complex questions on his feet. he can actually improvise, if'n he isn't the smoothest. it's evident that there's a working brain in there.

my $50 says mccain will shit himself when faced with anything that he doesn't have something written on cue cards for. admiral stockdale, one more time.

we shall see rabbit, we shall see.

almost sounds like he was being pleasured beneath the podium.

yep. but the thing is, eventually, a reasonably well thought-out answer emerges.

mccain will just end up defaulting to some faux-patriotic bullshit when things don't go his way. maybe he could mention that he crashed three planes for the navy, right before getting shot down damn near immediately by the north vietnamese. that oughta get the flag wavers going.

almost sounds like he was being pleasured beneath the podium.

Afterall, he is a dem.....

yep. but the thing is, eventually, a reasonably well thought-out answer emerges.

Eventually isn't going to help him when there's a time limit on a debate answer.

mccain will just end up defaulting to some faux-patriotic bullshit when things don't go his way. maybe he could mention that he crashed three planes for the navy, right before getting shot down damn near immediately by the north vietnamese. that oughta get the flag wavers going.

"Faux-patriotic bullshit"? Do you mean Obama? He wants absolutely nothing to do with patriotism, and will take any opportunity to run down this country.

Most recently at Elkhart, Ind. where he said "America is, is no longer, uh, what it could be, what it, it once was. And I say to myself, I don't want that future for my children."

Will the election be decided by the "flag-wavers" and the "flag-burners"?

ah, yes, the old "unpatriotic" bullshit.

that one gets hoisted up the pole anytime there's nothing substantive to raise.

Please keep in mind that "Patriotic" isn't the exclusive property of those who equate it with war-mongering.

Patriotism doesn't mean blindly following whatever comes out of the White House

McCain knows that Americans love their country and won't tolerate the "faux-patriotic bullshit" that Obama wants to deliver.

Sorry you feel the truth has no validity.

I do believe it will come down to the "flag wavers" vs "the flag burners".

Patriotism doesn't mean blindly following whatever comes out of the White House

around here it often does.

hi! come on in...

grab a little dowelstick flag from the pile at the left.

armbands are also available for an extra fee.

yes, jesus loves you.

and he wants us to protect you.

and we will.

because your interests are ours.

and there are very bad men out there.

very bad men. swarthy, bearded men.

sweaty, barbarous mohametans.

sure, you're barely scraping by.

and we're making record profits.

but we're keeping you safe.

relax.

have a cookie.