Meaningful things becoming trendy

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
This is sparked by the "Livestrong" bracelets ...they have meaning...meaning which is, well, meaningful to me. I only recently found out about them because I essentially live under a rock while I'm in school...I've seen people wearing them but only recently found out what they mean...So, I just ordered 10 from the website (min you can order) since I can't be bothered with trying to find them in stores...now, I am gonna wear it because it has meaning to me...but because I am a "late comer" so to speak I run the risk of being labelled as "trendy" and only wearing it cause it's "cool"...obviously I'm not letting this stop me...but it really bugs me that the people who will be labelling me will probably be the ones who are ACTUALLY trendy and don't know what they mean...

Talk about trends, those things are supposed to cost 1 dollar, because it is for a non-profit organization.

Well, resellers over here sells them as high as 20 dollars per bracelet. I can see a bunch of trendy a-holes wearing them. They know the bracelet is supposed to cost 1 dollar, but they pay more because wearing them is something in.

And we also have the red, black, and whatever colour you can think of, each with a meaning. :rolleyes:

Luis G said:
Talk about trends, those things are supposed to cost 1 dollar, because it is for a non-profit organization.

Well, resellers over here sells them as high as 20 dollars per bracelet. I can see a bunch of trendy a-holes wearing them. They know the bracelet is supposed to cost 1 dollar, but they pay more because wearing them is something in.

And we also have the red, black, and whatever colour you can think of, each with a meaning. :rolleyes:

I paid a dollar each plus $11.50 shipping...so in total each will cost me just over $2..not bad...

All the other colours are fake...only the yellow ones are real. As far as I know the other ones aren't associated with any organization and don't support anything...they're just people trying to make some money...:mad:

Nixy said:
All the other colours are fake...only the yellow ones are real. As far as I know the other ones aren't associated with any organization and don't support anything...they're just people trying to make some money...:mad:

Which is another reason I decided to just buy them right from the site, then I KNOW where my cash is going!

No. You think you know where it's going. How much of it goes to pay for the organization selling the bracelets?

Professur said:
No. You think you know where it's going. How much of it goes to pay for the organization selling the bracelets?

I believe that the rule is that non-profit organizations should spend 90% of their revenues with altruism. The remaining 10% is for them to be able to operate.

Professur said:

It's a non profit organization...

Luis G said:
I believe that the rule is that non-profit organizations should spend 90% of their revenues with altruism. The remaining 10% is for them to be able to operate.

Not that I've ever seen. Non-profit simply means that the balance at the end of the books doesn't go directly into someone's pocket. Unless the director manages to get himself a raise or two.

Don't worry about trendy assholes trying to act like an individual by calling you trendy. If you know who you are, then who cares about them.

I sometimes wear trednyish clothes and not a single person in the alternative crowd I hang with has ever made fun of me or called me trendy. When I go to the clubs I tend to wear my black vinyl and full hairfalls and such and everyone of those trendy assholes who liked my shoes yesterday make fun of me for being a freak. Those poor misguided souls. When will they learn that fashion and name brands don't make a person? :shrug:

The ones I have a problem with are the magnetic "ribbons" that people are sticking on the backs of their cars. The money goes to the company that makes them. Yet they are pink for breast cancer, yellow to support our troops, or red white and blue for patriotic pride.

I'd love to see 90% of the money from THOSE things going to charity.

Nixy said:
I paid a dollar each plus $11.50 shipping...so in total each will cost me just over $2..not bad...
Are they that heavy that it would really cost $11.50 to ship them?

Wait... that's in Canadian dollars, right? My bad. That's like US $3. That sounds a lot more reasonable.

Inkara1 said:
Are they that heavy that it would really cost $11.50 to ship them?

Wait... that's in Canadian dollars, right? My bad. That's like US $3. That sounds a lot more reasonable.

No...I bet it's USD

DAMN IT! *cruses like a sailor*

*goes to find out how much they REALLY cost her*

What are those things made of" $11.50 seems like a pretty steep shipping charge.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by newegg. The only time the shipping is that high is if it's something actually heavy, like a computer case.

Inkara1 said:
What are those things made of" $11.50 seems like a pretty steep shipping charge.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by newegg. The only time the shipping is that high is if it's something actually heavy, like a computer case.

They're rubber...but it's FedEX, they only do international shipments through FedEX

Ive seen them on celebrities and pro footballers. I sure as hell won't be wearing any of them. I give to charity but I don't go on about it in a holier then thou way.

Lopan said:
Ive seen them on celebrities and pro footballers. I sure as hell won't be wearing any of them. I give to charity but I don't go on about it in a holier then thou way.

Actually...they're only a dollar each...so they're not worn to show that you're handing over hords of money. For me wearing it will be showing my compassion and empathy for cancer patients and their families...for what they have to go through...and also for the families who have lost someone due to cancer but continue to "live strong". So, you see, this was the whole point of my post in the first place. Some people DO have real heart felt reasons for it so others shouldn't jump to conclusions.

what it all boils down to is wear the bracelet if that's what you like and want to do and fuck everybody else :D
if they accuse you of being trendy tell to to kiss your butt. if anything should be the popular thing to do it should be charity and compassion for others.

Back