Meaningful things becoming trendy

Nixy said:
That seems high,It cost me low $20Cdn to ship(ground) a full bottle of pop to California in a big enough box to allow for padding against breakage.The only way it would be that much is Air/overnight,even then it seems steep.

A.B.Normal said:
That seems high,It cost me low $20Cdn to ship(ground) a full bottle of pop to California in a big enough box to allow for padding against breakage.The only way it would be that much is Air/overnight,even then it seems steep.

FedEx is insanely expensive...INSANELY...plus because it's a purchase customs and duty is included me thinks

Nixy said:
FedEx is insanely expensive...INSANELY...plus because it's a purchase customs and duty is included me thinks

For my purchases the customs taxes are never included in the bill. When I receive the package I pay the carrier the taxes and they give me the customs receipt.

Luis G said:
For my purchases the customs taxes are never included in the bill. When I receive the package I pay the carrier the taxes and they give me the customs receipt.

Well...when I ordered it said "including handling"...so I dunno

Nixy said:
Well...when I ordered it said "including handling"...so I dunno

I think handling stands for the process of shipping, not the actual payment of taxes.

Anyway, I doubt that such a small purchase will be taxed. I only pay taxes for orders over 100USD.

Nixy said:
Actually...they're only a dollar each...so they're not worn to show that you're handing over hords of money. For me wearing it will be showing my compassion and empathy for cancer patients and their families...for what they have to go through...and also for the families who have lost someone due to cancer but continue to "live strong". So, you see, this was the whole point of my post in the first place. Some people DO have real heart felt reasons for it so others shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Its not the cost. Why would someone want to wear something that shows everyone else that they give to charity? What makes the charities that have bracelets more needy than charities without?

How often will you give to those charities? Is it just once or do you get a new bracelet several times a year?

Well in light of all the negative stuff headed Nixy's way,I'd like to add the Lance Armstrong foundation is a worthwhile charity,but whether I'd pay to wear one of their bracelets :shrug:

I'm not being negative towards Nixy, I just don't see why someone would want to show that they give to charity.

well...because the charities have ingeniously tapped into this "i wanna be cool" thing. first it starts where people like nixy want to give to charity so they buy the bracelets and wear them to raise awareness. so then little suzy insecure see this and now knows that it is safe and acceptable to wear these and then buys some in hopes of fitting in.
doesn't mean you shouldn't wear them (beyond that i find them ugly) it should just make you question why.

Lopan said:
Its not the cost. Why would someone want to wear something that shows everyone else that they give to charity? What makes the charities that have bracelets more needy than charities without?

How often will you give to those charities? Is it just once or do you get a new bracelet several times a year?

Nothing makes charities with bracelets more needy than charities without...it's the bracelets that raised my awareness about this particualr charity though. So, I guess they are doing their job. More people are finding out about the charity because of them. Therefore the charity gets more money and is better off.

I do not say no to ANY cancer charity. Hell, I have been at FRIENDS houses and someone comes to the door collecting and when the friend comes back in and says "They were collecting for cancer, I didn't have any cash though" I have gone outside to FIND the person (usually one or two houses down cause they're doing a door to door) and gave them a donation.

Back