Merrie Monarch hula festival

kuulani said:
*trying not to sound sappy* Did I ever tell you that I admire the love and loyalty that you always show to your country? :worship:

:D And did I ever tell you that you and Na are an inspiration to me for the very same reason? I've never met people so steeped in their heritage and tradition, it's too bad there aren't more out there like you guys. :hug:

kuulani said:
I still have a shitload to do before our performance :eek:

1. Make a hala skirt
2. Sew a dress from a pattern - which I've never done before
3. Sew a hula skirt
4. Sew a bandana top
5. Sew a jumper
6. Make my leis
7. Learn two more dances that haven't been taught yet

update:
1. [dance of joy] My hala skirt is pau [/dance]
2. Saturday will be my sewing marathon day ... wish me luck!!
3. We're learning the first of the two new dances :D

Thanks for the compliment, greenie :) ... that's why I chose ku'u as one of my three in that other thread :)

My MM To Do List:

1. buy beer
2. help watch Mie so ku'u can finish her crap
3. finish printing cards for the booth
4. drink beer
5. help ku'u vent frustrations
6. help ku'u vent with beer
7. buy more beer
8. watch baby

:headbang:

Ooooo, sounds like fun (the festival I mean).

kuulani said:
Ardsgaine wrote:
My Mom can sew... she made Jan's wedding dress. I don't think that helps you though.

*tempted to switch the name on that airline ticket from "Ards" to "Ards' mom"*

And she did a really fantastic job too. The dress was gorgeous.

weekend updates:

I finished sewing my dress :headbang: well ... err ... I mean ... my friend's mom finished sewing my dress after she saw the mess I made of it :D

I also finished sewing my bandana, skirt, and jumper :headbang:

Now all I have to do is worry about my leis :headbang:

Wow, and a whole week left! So, where do you get the flowers for your leis? Do you use specific flowers to match your dress? You probably have to do that very close to the day so that they don't wilt right? How do you affix them so they're in a chain? Am I asking too many questions? :D

:D

One type of flower is the lehua, we have to get from the mountains. The other flower is a plumeria, it grows in people's yards. The flowers we get match the songs that we dance. We're planning to go flower-picking on Tuesday, the day before Merrie Monarch.

There are many styles of leis. The lehua is usually made by placing it on a backing and wrapping a string around its stem, affixing it to the backing (which is usually a long leaf). The plumeria is easier to make. You just sew them together with a long lei needle. :D

I'll take pics for you of my leis when they're done :D

Oh, I've heard of plumeria, for sure. They smell really good, right?

Is this the lehua you're talking about?:
lehua.gif

I did a search for plumeria and look what I found!!:

plumeria-sonia-k.jpg

Oh my GOD that's beautiful. *sigh*

That's the lehua!! I wanna find the yellow blossom, its more rare. This is basically how the lei will look
artf.jpg

And that's how we have to make the plumeria lei ... without the purple orchids in between :D

You have NO idea what you started missy.

I'll have you know I spent the whole day learning about plumeria and decided that it would be perfect for my front lawn. I found a Hawaii grower who is selling cuttings for $1.99 each!!

Take a look see: Plumeria list

I'll probably make my order tonight. Woo hoo!! :dance:

Where do you go to get the blossoms? You should start growing this stuff yourself, it would save you time. :)

greenfreak said:
You have NO idea what you started missy.

:lol: For Merrie Monarch, we need to get the hot pink plumeria
agora.cgi

Which color(s) are you ordering? It may be just me, but I think that the white plumeria smells the best :shrug:

Then it will be easy for you to make leis. I'll mail you a lei needle if you want. Then all you have to do is string up the flowers :D

You should start growing this stuff yourself, it would save you time.

We actually have a couple trees in our yard, but it's the wrong color flower. And its really rainy here, I think that affects the tree somehow. Our trees have less flowers and leaves than those that grow on the sunnier side of the island.

oooooooh, I just ordered "a few"...

One of these:
plumeria_white_lg.jpg

One of these:
plumeria_yellow_lg.jpg

One of these:
plumeria_apricot_lg.jpg

Two of these:
plumeria_rainbow_lg.jpg

and Two of these:
plumeria_pink_lg.jpg

:D

I read on my gardening message boards that you should expect 1/3 of the shipment to not survive. So I figure I'll end up with a couple less than I ordered but at $2.00 each, who cares?!

I didn't plan on making leis with them but Rusty and I have been talking about taking dance lessons for years. Think we should take hula? ;)

Back