merry xmas

tank girl

hows this for social satire :lloyd:

DECEMBER 2004
David and Victoria Beckham have taken centre stage this year as Madame Tussauds approaches the Christmas story with a twist of its own. The popular museum, world-renowned for its waxworks of famous people, has decided to give Posh and Becks the leading roles as Joseph and Mary in their nativity scene.

The life-size replicas of the couple, dressed up in ancient robes, appear alongside a host of other famous replicas which have been re-garbed for the occasion. Bringing the infant Jesus gold, frankincense and myrrh this Christmas are the Three 'Wise' Men from the west rather than the east: George Bush, Tony Blair and Prince Philip.

The three shepherds who complete the scene are non other than the bible-quoting gangster from Pulp Fiction, Samuel L Jackson; Hugh Grant - complete with a lamb in hand; and comedian Graham Norton. Meanwhile the sultry angel Kylie Minogue strikes a seductive pose above the manger

[laced with sarcasm] Who say's the true meaning of Crimbo has been lost and its all gone comercial!?[/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:

However it is an excellent satirical comment... Goeorge Bush.. "wiseman"... Hah!

Yep. Another predictable attack on religion in general, and Christianity in particular. Here's a thought...Don't like a religion, IGNORE IT!

Naaaahhh...That would be tolerance...and we can't have that for any religion, now can we?

Gato_Solo said:
Yep. Another predictable attack on religion in general, and Christianity in particular. Here's a thought...Don't like a religion, IGNORE IT!

Naaaahhh...That would be tolerance...and we can't have that for any religion, now can we?

TBH Gato... there's probably far less practicing or "give a shit" Christian's in Blighty than America... and rather than taking the piss I see it as a satirical comment on the down fall / decline in popularity of the Christian faith...

Suggesting that Mary and Joseph... prominant biblical pillars to be reveered modern equivalent... is Posh and Bex. :shrug:

ClaireBear said:
TBH Gato... there's probably far less practicing or "give a shit" Christian's in Blighty than America... and rather than taking the piss I see it as a satirical comment on the down fall / decline in popularity of the Christian faith...

Suggesting that Mary and Joseph... prominant biblical pillars to be reveered modern equivalent... is Posh and Bex. :shrug:

It is funny, but I also see it as an on-going theme in tankgirl's posts. :shrug:

BTW...How come it's called satire when it's meant to be offensive to the majority, and intolerance when it's aimed at the minority?

Gato_Solo said:
BTW...How come it's called satire when it's meant to be offensive to the majority, and intolerance when it's aimed at the minority?

Thats the wrong way round or summit... :confused:

Satire is satire when its controversial but inoffensive to the majority... satire is social commentory... presenting an image of what is happening usually when its wrong for us to reflect upon.

Intolerance is derision or descriomination against another party, which is very offensive, whether aimed at a majority or minority.

I think... :confused:

Don't see the problem. Neither did the old folks that were at the museum, they seemed rather amused. As one elderly man said: "Oh I don't think the Lord is bothered with such small things" (quoting by memory)

Starya said:
Don't see the problem. Neither did the old folks that were at the museum, they seemed rather amused. As one elderly man said: "Oh I don't think the Lord is bothered with such small things" (quoting by memory)

I don't either, but, as I've said, there seems to be an on-going commentary in tankgirl's posts....

ok...so as a christian i don't get it. we are upset because of who is playing the roles in the nativity? well shit folks. if you want to be technical, no one is worthy. cease all nativity scenes because humans are sinfull! geez folks, it's just a nativity scene. christians should be happy anyone gives a toot anymore and beckman and his songbird could be dressed as mr. and mrs. claus.

tonksy said:
ok...so as a christian i don't get it. we are upset because of who is playing the roles in the nativity? well shit folks. if you want to be technical, no one is worthy. cease all nativity scenes because humans are sinfull! geez folks, it's just a nativity scene. christians should be happy anyone gives a toot anymore and beckman and his songbird could be dressed as mr. and mrs. claus.

Bush as wise (from the left's point of view, that's false), and the slutty Posh Spice as Mary. Hilarity ensues, and Christmas, which tankgirl reduced to x-mas is, once more, ridiculed. It makes them feel superior for not having a belief...

Gato_Solo said:
Bush as wise (from the left's point of view, that's false), and the slutty Posh Spice as Mary. Hilarity ensues, and Christmas, which tankgirl reduced to x-mas is, once more, ridiculed. It makes them feel superior for not having a belief...
why is it ridiculed? when you go to see your church's nativity they got bob smith from the kroger deli, who drinks like a fish and has language to make a sailor blush, playing joseph. mary would be a two time divorcee with a liking for valium. you see the point is is that no one is without sin so anyone playing any of these characters is a stretch. we do it because it helps us to remember and to celebrate the real meaning behind christmas.

Professur said:
Actually, Tonks, neither of them would be tolerated in my church.
why not? those are the people you should be, forgive the phrase, marketing to. church is for sinners. everyone sins. jesus knew this.

Professur said:
Repenting sinners, perhaps.
well sure. and do you know that george bush doesn't repent in prayer for his stupidity? and do you know that trashy spice or whatever her name is really carries on like her image? all i mean is that i rather like that a nativity was created out of what is usually just a worthless wax collection of pop media icons. maybe the collection is bigger than the sum of it's parts....you know?

tonksy said:
why is it ridiculed? when you go to see your church's nativity they got bob smith from the kroger deli, who drinks like a fish and has language to make a sailor blush, playing joseph. mary would be a two time divorcee with a liking for valium. you see the point is is that no one is without sin so anyone playing any of these characters is a stretch. we do it because it helps us to remember and to celebrate the real meaning behind christmas.

Wouldn't be tolerated in my home church, either. We never did live nativity scenes. :shrug: The point is that, according to the left, Bush is stupid, so let's make him a wise man...What fun. Posh Spice is/was a slut, so let's make her 'virgin' Mary. How entertaining. There's a 'stretch', and then there's a break...and as long as it's Christians they poke fun of, nobody seems to care.

As a side note...what happened to the last guy who poked fun at the Muslim religion? Theo van Gogh? Perhaps they pick on Christianity because they're cowards...:shrug:

Back