minimum # of letters in the search.

catocom

So do you think it could be lowered to 3 letters?

Quite a bit of the stuff I search for is 3, like "Flu"

It really does need to be three letters. When the folks at HWC finally got around to changing it it made a huge difference.

But it also makes a huge difference on the database and server, too. Such small search terms can cause heavy serverload.

It took 4 hours to rebuild the search index at default settings when we FIRST upgraded to vB3. That was about 80,000 posts ago. And we're tight on space right now. If I decrease minimum search length now, the search function will not work (INCLUDING the get daily posts) until the index is fully rebuilt which could very well take the better part of the day, and we will be out of space before it is done.

What your saying then ,is if we are searching for "flu" ,we better do it using "puke " instead eh.:wink2:
Gotcha fury and thanks.

A.B.Normal said:
Using a Wildcard such as flu* will bring up "flute" but not "flu" ,we went through that discussion at HWC.
Yeah, I remember asking if they could lower the limit there at HWC and all I got in response was to attach an astriek. :shrug:

fury said:
It took 4 hours to rebuild the search index at default settings when we FIRST upgraded to vB3. That was about 80,000 posts ago. And we're tight on space right now. If I decrease minimum search length now, the search function will not work (INCLUDING the get daily posts) until the index is fully rebuilt which could very well take the better part of the day, and we will be out of space before it is done.
Oh, OK,
I didn't know it would be quite that much of a headache.
Never mind.:D
I work around it on other boards. I can do so here too.;)

Back