More trouble with the PC police

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
United States of the Offended. Yep. That's what we've become (although, technically it is a worldwide phenomena)

By Matt Viser, Globe Staff | October 28, 2005

NEWTON -- When students at Underwood Elementary School walk to their classrooms on Monday, there will be no witches, SpongeBob SquarePants, or Johnny Damons there to greet them.

No skeleton paintings or Frankenstein tattoos, either.

The school's principal said yesterday he acceded to the complaints of a handful of parents who said that because the school's traditional Halloween celebrations offended their religious beliefs, they would not send their children to school if the revelry continued this year.

Where were they last year...or 5 years ago...or 10...25...50?

Boston dot com

Let them be offended. Maybe the school can offer an alternative or something so that it can be celebrated for those who just want to have some fun on that day.

Bobby Hogg said:
It's a pagan festival, so by definition it should probably offend any Christian/Muslim/Jew.

Naah, Hallows Eve was absorbed by Christianity in the 6th, 7th and 8th centuries.

So many people lookingfor excuses to be offended.

Screw it. Just gonna go back to living me quiet little life, and let the debris fall where it may. "There are none so ignorant as those who will not be taught."

Back to work on the Roost...

It *used* to be "The Fest of SamHain", a Celtic tradition. It got absorbed into Christian mythos and became eve of the feast of All Saints ( Eve of all hallowed) Hallowed'eve...Hallowe'en.

Chavez is partially right. There's a different night for Latinos. Dec 28th (The Day of the Innocent Saints).

Hallowe'en is American in the same way that the 'Easter Bunny" is American and "Santa Claus" is American. Holy-days turned into opportunities to buy more stuff. :shrug:

This just makes me sick already. It's like this muslim girl here. She won't allow her son to go out for halloween. Reasons, she doesn't want her kid to eat candy, she's too shy to have him go from house to house, bullshit like that. The poor kid is the only one that isn't dressed up today at school and he probably feels like an idiot.

They gave him a Unicef box. She asked what she's suppose to do with it. I told her it's for when they go out trick or treating so she brought it to the office hoping we would give. Some people did, I didn't on principal. I give to the kids that come around.

HomeLAN said:
Actually, Hugo Chavez says it's strictly a US festival, and as such, it is -of course- EEEEEEEEEVIL.
It's really hard to tell what exactly he said in there. Did he say American, or North American?

Far too much editorializing in that article to have it mean anything at all.

President Hugo Chavez urged Venezuelan parents not to dress their children in costumes for Halloween, calling it a U.S. custom that has no place in the South American country's cultural traditions.

Seemed clear to me.

MrBishop said:
It *used* to be "The Fest of SamHain", a Celtic tradition.

I think I might convert to the Norse religion. Oct. 31st is the Norse Elven Blót. Time to sacrafice a few elves!

HomeLAN said:
Actually, Hugo Chavez says it's strictly a US festival, and as such, it is -of course- EEEEEEEEEVIL.

Heard that some villages around the Swiss-German border are saying similar stuff. They say it interferes with the honoring of ancestors inherent in All Souls Day (Nov. 1st). Heck, when I used to live in the southwest the Mexicans didn't really celebrate Halloween, they celebrated the "Day of the Dead" which is much more closely related to All Souls Day. Halloween is a pagan holiday, not a christian one.

Of course, in America it's a marketing holiday just like all the rest. :shrug:

chcr said:
Heard that some villages around the Swiss-German border are saying similar stuff. They say it interferes with the honoring of ancestors inherent in All Souls Day (Nov. 1st). Heck, when I used to live in the southwest the Mexicans didn't really celebrate Halloween, they celebrated the "Day of the Dead" which is much more closely related to All Souls Day. Halloween is a pagan holiday, not a christian one.

Of course, in America it's a marketing holiday just like all the rest. :shrug:

Nov. 1st is All Saints Day. Nov. 2nd is All Souls Day.

Uki Chick said:
This just makes me sick already. It's like this muslim girl here. She won't allow her son to go out for halloween. Reasons, she doesn't want her kid to eat candy, she's too shy to have him go from house to house, bullshit like that. The poor kid is the only one that isn't dressed up today at school and he probably feels like an idiot.

I respect that. She's not asking the school to end it celebration of Cavity Day but she is doing her job, as a parent, to ensure her child follows her traditions/rules.

yeah if I twas a livin' inna Moosie cuntry I'd sure as
hell expect them to RESPECT Mah American traditions!!!

I'd want my wimen's in halter topps and Hot pants
and swill mah whiskey and pr0n I'd want mah pr0n

and if they din like it then the A-rab version of the
ACLU would show nuff stick up fer me, huh, wouldn't they?

nah I'd fully expect to end up wearing a Duduza necklace

rrfield said:
Nov. 1st is All Saints Day. Nov. 2nd is All Souls Day.

Sorry, I pretty much haven't paid attention to religious holidays since around 1970. ;)

chcr said:
Sorry, I pretty much haven't paid attention to religious holidays since around 1970. ;)

Good thing you live in a country that defends your right not to practice religion, eh?

Back