MRE

PostCode

Major contributor!
I'm stuck here at work doing the overtime without pay thing (go figure). I'm getting kind of hungry so I go diggin' around and find one of the wife person's MRE's. Actually this thing is pretty tasty. It's not like when I was in by any means. Anyone else out there have a MRE before?

Not like when you were in? The only difference is your're not forced to eat 'em now. I've never experienced that particular delicacy, no. After my time.

Oh, and overtime is not an option for bosses & owners. Yo get the benefits of late night tax season too.

Lived off them for months. I still have a garbage bag full of coffee, powdered juice and other condiments including tabasco sauce i keep for...uh...i don't know why i keep'em.:D They are decent but only because you expect them to taste like shit. Eating them every day gets old really fast, especially the green eggs.

HeXp£Øi± said:
Meal Ready to Eat. Military food.

Oh... the "add water to one sachet to produce a 5 course meal including dessert" things... *shudder* Closest to that I've ever experienced is a "PotNoodle"

"Ready meals" here are what we called microwave meals so that includes anything from curries to sunday roasts and all variants in between.

I ate a few cases back when I was 18. I actually liked them... but had to give them up at they were too caloric and packing on the weight too fast.

I'm told there are about 3500 calories in each MRE, mostly from sugars, and preservatives. I used to eat 5 or 6 a day.

PostCode said:
I'm told there are about 3500 calories in each MRE, mostly from sugars, and preservatives. I used to eat 5 or 6 a day.

They cut way back on the calories for the 'new' MRE's. They're down to around 1,000 now. I've got a few stashed in case of Hurricane Evacuations...with the chemical-heater. Just add water to the heater pouch, drop your 'food baggie' inside the pouch, fold over, and wait 3 minutes...

Yeah, all these have that green (they just had to use green...) heater thingie. Kinda piffy really. Light enough to use for backpacking and nixing the backpack heater. I've gotta try them out to see how well they work before justifying the loss of my backpack heater though.

PostCode said:
Yeah, all these have that green (they just had to use green...) heater thingie. Kinda piffy really. Light enough to use for backpacking and nixing the backpack heater. I've gotta try them out to see how well they work before justifying the loss of my backpack heater though.

Just remember...do not go over the line. Bad things happen when you go over the line... :eek: ...those packs release hydrogen gas...and heat + hydrogen = *boom*. We used to put some of that chemical in those tabasco bottles, throw, and run. Enough to scatter that glass in a 10 foot radius. :devious:

Back