My car

Luis G said:
the houses looks like the typical "house" in the US.

They looks nice but it seems that it's easy to break in and to steal the car.

As long as you can get past the alarm system, the pissed off guard dog, the more pissed wife & me & my .44 magnum. (I agree with flavio, all housing developments have lost personalities)

Luis G said:
the houses looks like the typical "house" in the US.

They looks nice but it seems that it's easy to break in and to steal the car.
Yes well, we do have a glass front door... hehe, and I suppose its fairly easy to break in, but hm, I haven't heard of that happen here.

Besides, I'm working on a way to boobie trap the place. OK OK sometimes I need to amuse myself.

Yeah I know it looks boring and all the same, but hm, for now it will suffice until my parents move south in a few years (the taxation is killing them, by dad is in the 48% or whatever tax bracket in Ontario). However, the people are very, very nice and friendly. ;)

it looks peaceful, i'm saying it's easy to break in because we are not used to having houses like that, ours are concrete made and the front part of the house has a wall and a fence, doors and windows have iron parts so even if you break the glass you still can't go inside because of the protections, which sometimes are soldered to the house structure.

Luis G said:
it looks peaceful, i'm saying it's easy to break in because we are not used to having houses like that, ours are concrete made and the front part of the house has a wall and a fence, doors and windows have iron parts so even if you break the glass you still can't go inside because of the protections, which sometimes are soldered to the house structure.
We call that a prison. :p

I agree with flavio, all housing developments have lost personalities

Housing developments, tract housing, cookie-cutter homes....I think it's all a blight on the landscape. How people can choose voluntarily to purchase a home that looks the same as every other house for blocks is beyond me. Lots of square miles of land stripped of all personality with many of these communities regulating many aspects of your lives like what you can put in your yard, how big a dog you can own, and even what colors are exceptable to paint your front door.

In my opinion these things ruin entire towns.

It is better than Europe, trust me. Everyone lives in teeny weensy little apartments, or in a condominium. Shadowfax tells me that a garage isn't even common in Netherlands. :eek:

Besides, give it a few years, we are going to plant a shit load of trees and plants and eventually the house wouldn't look that simliar to the others. Besides I'm around. I'm gonna fix it up real good with some stuff. And ideas that I have.

I've always thought the Echo was a rather ugly car. However, those cheap Checker/Schuck's/Kragen hubcaps actually improve the look of the car.

LastLegionary said:
It is better than Europe, trust me. Everyone lives in teeny weensy little apartments, or in a condominium. Shadowfax tells me that a garage isn't even common in Netherlands. :eek:

Depends on what you call teeny weensy, for me it's more than enough, but yes, it's not much compared to those houses. That's the problem with living in a crowded country, but it's also because we live in one of the heavily populated areas. It's not like we all live in tiny cubes, and there are lots of places where you get more space, but we're lazy, we have most things within walking distance and the rest isn't very far either :)

Anyways, being used to smaller cars (because finding a parking spot is a real challenge with a large car here, been there done that) I think yours is not that bad, it looks good to me and if it drives than that's all that matters. I don't care about owning a huge expensive car myself (although I love drewling at / driving in them), I drive an older cheaper car myself, but it's reliable, normally uses 1 liter / 16 km and the engine is very responsive...

It's a Nissan Sunny 1.6 SLX from 1990 btw...

Here's a picture, and yes, that's a cow-steering-wheel :headbang:

Attachment(s):

auto1.jpg, 48.94kb

213_1035804666.jpg

flavio said:
Lots of square miles of land stripped of all personality with many of these communities regulating many aspects of your lives like what you can put in your yard, how big a dog you can own, and even what colors are exceptable to paint your front door.

Heh. I remember a builder telling me about a house he built in a neighborhood like that. It was a huge pink stucco monstrosity, and the first of its kind in the development. He managed to convince the covenant board to give him permission to build it. When he was ready to put up the mailbox, though-- pink stucco to match the house-- they tried to argue with him that the mailbox had to be brick, like all the other mailboxes in the neighborhood. If they had won, it would have looked ridiculous. He got into a major battle with them over it, but common sense finally prevailed.

I grew up in Levittown NY, the first mass produced suburbia community on Long Island. They built 17,447 homes for GI's returning from WWII in two main styles--the Cape Cod and the Ranch. Because the houses were so basic, over the years people added on and changed things around so much that you wouldn't recognize most of the houses anymore.

I have to tell you though, it was a great place to grow up. The community was so family oriented, everyone had a 'village green' within walking distance which included a pool, park, and a small row of stores, we left our bikes out on the sidewalk and didn't have to worry about them not being there in the morning... It's the same place that Billy Joel always sings about, he grew up in Levittown about a mile from where I lived.

Although I'm getting tired of seeing the 'pop and fresh' style communities pop up all over the place too, it was great growing up in one. :)

flavio said:
Housing developments, tract housing, cookie-cutter homes....I think it's all a blight on the landscape. How people can choose voluntarily to purchase a home that looks the same as every other house for blocks is beyond me. Lots of square miles of land stripped of all personality with many of these communities regulating many aspects of your lives like what you can put in your yard, how big a dog you can own, and even what colors are exceptable to paint your front door.

In my opinion these things ruin entire towns.

I agree, there's some condominiums that look so alike that you need to either check carefully the address, or count them in a row to find yours:

"Where's my house? Easy, it's the 18th at the right on that street"

Talk about personnality :rolleyes:

greenfreak said:
I grew up in Levittown NY, the first mass produced suburbia community on Long Island. They built 17,447 homes for GI's returning from WWII in two main styles--the Cape Cod and the Ranch. Because the houses were so basic, over the years people added on and changed things around so much that you wouldn't recognize most of the houses anymore.

I have to tell you though, it was a great place to grow up. The community was so family oriented, everyone had a 'village green' within walking distance which included a pool, park, and a small row of stores, we left our bikes out on the sidewalk and didn't have to worry about them not being there in the morning... It's the same place that Billy Joel always sings about, he grew up in Levittown about a mile from where I lived.

Although I'm getting tired of seeing the 'pop and fresh' style communities pop up all over the place too, it was great growing up in one. :)
Saw 'em. I can confirm that.

I thought it looked like a nice place to live LL, I'm trying to work my way up to somthing like that . Where we live, a house like that would cost me about five times my anual pay. Our house was built around 1935, two bedrooms just big enough to fit beds in, a VERY small bathroom/toilet and small living room and kitchen. All the houses are built attached to eachother in a solid row, so you can not walk around your house.

A house in the country would be very nice.

Our house has four bedrooms, three washrooms, a kitchen, living room, dining room, sitting room, a general purpose area, a den, a laundry room, and a double garage.

The basement will soon contain a kitchen, two bedrooms, living room, washroom, storage closet, and computer room. That is gonna be my apartment for a while. :D :D :D

LastLegionary said:
Our house has four bedrooms, three washrooms, a kitchen, living room, dining room, sitting room, a general purpose area, a den, a laundry room, and a double garage.

The basement will soon contain a kitchen, two bedrooms, living room, washroom, storage closet, and computer room. That is gonna be my apartment for a while. :D :D :D
Sounds a little like my place.

Back