my english results are in...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Had to take an english test (toefl) so one of the unis I work at know I have the minimum level they require.

My results:
- Listening and comprehension, 60/68
- Structure & Written Expression, 64/68
- Reading Comprehension, 59/68
- Total score, 610/673

The reading test wasn't a reading test, it was just a bunch of tricky questions that had at least 2 correct answers.

The only advantage of knowing my result on this is that I can apply to any doctorate program in the world and be sure I won't get rejected because of the language.

I'd be willing to bet a good 80 percent of people for whom English was the first language would score lower than that.

department i used to work in (industrial engineering) used to bounce lots of folks because of shitty english. turks and chinese seemed to have the most problems...

your scores rock. waaaaay better than i'd score on a spanish test. possibly better than i'd score on an english test.

that being said, we also used to have a lot of indian guys who would speak and write formal english well but not be able to communicate worth shit. not that you'd have that problem...

Sweet, Luis! :beardbng: :beardbng: :beardbng:

Around here, it's french proficiency tests for certain professions. Nursing, doctors etc...

The thing is, French people born here don't have to take the test, and they're the ones who'd likely fail it. :shrug:

Luis G said:
Had to take an english test (toefl) so one of the unis I work at know I have the minimum level they require.

My results:
- Total score, 610/673

The reading test wasn't a reading test, it was just a bunch of tricky questions that had at least 2 correct answers.

The only advantage of knowing my result on this is that I can apply to any doctorate program in the world and be sure I won't get rejected because of the language.

No great suprises there. I've commented on your skill in english many times. I can only hope that in some small way, I've managed to contribute to it over the years.

And now, onward to greater things, eh?

- Total score, 610/673

:confuse3:

Leslie said:
- Total score, 610/673

He never mentioned what he got on his math skills did he :shrug:

Leslie said:
- Total score, 610/673

I think they sum the results of the individual tests, divide by 3 and multiply by 10. That gives them results they can analize through standard deviatons. AFAIK, a score of 610 is at least 2 standard deviatons from the mean.

Professur said:
No great suprises there. I've commented on your skill in english many times. I can only hope that in some small way, I've managed to contribute to it over the years.

And now, onward to greater things, eh?

Yes, you and everybody have contributed to it.

Greater things?, I'll be applying for doctorate studies in the near future (1 or 2 years). More languages? I'm trying to learn french, as of now I can somewhat read it and listen to it, but I can't express myself yet.

Back