My mom is thinking of switching isp's

pc_builder

Problem is, she would be switching to qwest. Both are hooked up in the house right now, and I ran some speed tests on the qwest dsl connection. I've never seen such low upload speed before. It's 32kb. And logging in to the modem shows that it's upstream rate is only 32kb under modem status.

My question though, is would 32kb upload speed prevent more than one computer to browse the web at the same time? I'm typing this on my mom's other computer which is still connected to her old isp. However, her ps3 is downloading something from the playstation network, and another computer connected to that modem can't get online. Seems to keep getting a dns error. But the ps3 download is still going.

Edit: I meant the ps3 is connected to the new qwest dsl service, as well as that other computer. This computer is connected to her wireless isp, i29.net and while it has a lower download speed, the upload speed is much higher at .2mb

ResearchMonkey

You can share the connection, albeit it will be even slower if your using both at the same time.

Other than your overhead from each PC, it shouldn't matter where the bits come from.

pc_builder

Ah yes, it must really have been a dns error. both the ps3 and other computer seem to be able to connect through the qwest modem at the same time now.

pc_builder

There's a ps3 and two computers in this house right now. She's had internet service with a wireless provider for awhile now. One computer is connected solely to that modem.

Her boyfriend decided to get a directv/qwest dsl combo package. Turns out they have no clear view to set up directv. But he was trying out the qwest dsl since they hooked that up anyway. The dsl modem has a built in 4 port router and wi fi. the ps3 is connected to the dsl modem via wi fi, and the other computer in this house is connected to the dsl modem with an ethernet cable.

And it turns out I still can't browse the internet with one while the other is downloading something. I could only finally load a web page through the qwest dsl connection after pausing the download on the ps3.
:(

catocom

you might try a secondary router, of maybe a hub.
A simple switch might just produce the same results.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Problem is, she would be switching to qwest. Both are hooked up in the house right now, and I ran some speed tests on the qwest dsl connection. I've never seen such low upload speed before. It's 32kb. And logging in to the modem shows that it's upstream rate is only 32kb under modem status.

My question though, is would 32kb upload speed prevent more than one computer to browse the web at the same time? I'm typing this on my mom's other computer which is still connected to her old isp. However, her ps3 is downloading something from the playstation network, and another computer connected to that modem can't get online. Seems to keep getting a dns error. But the ps3 download is still going.

Edit: I meant the ps3 is connected to the new qwest dsl service, as well as that other computer. This computer is connected to her wireless isp, i29.net and while it has a lower download speed, the upload speed is much higher at .2mb

When you say 32kb, do you mean 32kb or 32kB (i.e. 256kb)? The former (which I doubt any ISP in their right mind would offer) is far from being able to handle the TCP overhead of a download, let alone multiple downloads and uploads. The latter is ok if your down speed is less than 2Mb

pc_builder

I did mean 32kb :p

But they managed to get it sorted out with customer support. I had no idea that unplugging the modem, and then reversing the phone line cable, would have any effect whatsoever, but that's what customer support told them to do. Either way, their connection looks much better now.