My mom's quitting

Stop Laughing

My mom is finally quitting her job, tomorrow is her last day. She had to, the last 2 years have been hell, she's been close to tears almost every time she went into the office (she's been working from home only going in to swap the paperwork) as the workload has been piling up fast since all the other long term employees (10+ years, she's had 15) have been dropping like flies as well. It's gonna be a serious pay cut, but she'll finally be in a much more manageable environment working for a temp agency starting a week from Monday. In the meantime, she's gonna go to San Francisco with her sister to meet with more of her family in 2 days for a 5 day weekend. That trip was actually aranged before she gave her quitting notice 3 weeks ago, just ended up working out with perfect timing. :) I took off of work the days she'll be in San Fran also to catch up on things here at home I couldn't get done last time she was away. Our back door (by far the most serious repair needed on the house) is gonna get replaced by my cousin when she gets back next week, too. Now I gotta get her to quit smoking...

Today had a kind of ominous start to a very short 2 day work week for us. As I'm ready to leave the house for work I hear a crash out front, two cars hit at a 90 degree head on collision at a fast intersection, had to call 911 before I left as I was still in the house close to a cordless phone. Turned out to be pretty serious, 2 ambulances and a fuel spill cleanup were needed, haven't heard any more than that. I'm glad I didn't see it and am not the top witness there, that corner has a crossing guard for the middle school right down the street who very likely saw the whole thing. I'm betting it was one of 2 things: either the car turning right turned on their red in front of the other car, or the other car ran the red while the turning car assumed they'd stop. Either case, quite a bit of damage to both cars front ends and I saw both cars' airbags deployed.

Stop Laughing

She's taking a substantial pay cut (about 1K less a month) but will compensate for it by not investing as much into her 401K, she's got enough in there to retire on without selling the house anyways. She also won't be working 50ish hours a week anymore, just the regular 40, and with her health she just can't work extra long hours anymore. The toughest part is her health insurance, she can pick up Cobra which will continue her previous coverage, but it costs a ton (like 250 a month), but the temp agency does offer their own which can't be more than that, she hasn't been too specific on that. We can tighten the spending for a while, and in just a few years the house will be totally paid for.

BTW, when she does retire, she said that since she has enough to retire on in her investments, I will have the house, she won't sell it. My hard work will at least pay off in the long run, then. :)