My opinion is rather unpopular around here ...

Hmm.. I have never, not once in any post, bashed an entire generation.

Seems you assumed it and took upon yourself to bash me for it. Your comment about 'fucking remember' when i am being very personal and talking about my father really pissed me off. Did you say to intentionally piss me off? Probably not. But one thing I will deduce, especially after your latest post - you felt the need to 'put me in my place' on a subject matter - my Father - that you no right doing. For the record I say once again I NEVER SAID SHIT ABOUT BASHING AN ENTIRE GENERATION. The point was, and yes dude, it was lost of you becuase you continue to bash me, that there are those who committment means something to - like MY FATHER, like THOSE WHO DIDN'T GET GO COME HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS (really wondering if you read anything past what you wanted to read) that didn't mean a hell of a whole lot to the one guy who would not honor his obligation.

I thought you were level headed and if I seem ultra pissed, I am. I fuckin hate being bashed on because someone didn 't take the time to read without "reading into". You obviously have an issue but I really don't appreciate being the one you take it out on.

I am level headed. (mostly)

I fail to see how and why you take personally what was and is a general statement about not forgeting those that DO fight today.

It was never meant in your direction whatsoever nor was it in anyway about your father.

If you choose to take it personally, then there only two options - either take me at my word it was not meant in any relation to you but as a general statement that there is still some honour in the world.

or don't - and decide to take it personally.

I am not 'putting you in your place' or anything such - indeed i am rather at a loss here -

i was just explaining what i meant by my post.

Which was we should not forget those that fight today - and i repeat, had nothing to do with you or your father or his memory.

Nalani - i have no issue - i'm just suprised at being accused of somehow making a general statement personal?????

best, BB

If i upset you Nalani - it was not my intent.

Nor, for the record, was i saying you disrespected a whole generation.

The 'fuckin' was not in your or anyone's direction - it was just for emphasis.
Sadly us Brits tend to swear alot - it's an adjective over here really.

My whole point was 'let us not forget'
hence my bewilderment how i managed to upset you.

But since i unwittingly and obviously have - my apologies.

BB

Hmmm... since I've had some water and am a bit calmed down - not much, but a bit - I will attempt only once more to explain to you, BB, what pisses me off so 'fuckin' much about your posts in this thread.

They Do still build them like that, and we should all fuckin remember that.
In reply to a comment made about my father regarding my personal feelings. It's bad enough that you went on about how my comment somehow meant I am hating on an entire generation (yes, you did .. go back and read your posts), you added 'fucking remember' that as if I have no right to feel that way about my father. Again, did you say it to piss me off? Probably not. But it did. And I said so and explained why.

I fail to see how and why you take personally what was and is a general statement about not forgeting those that DO fight today.

It was never meant in your direction whatsoever nor was it in anyway about your father.

Never meant towards me? General statment? Let's see:

respecting your father is fine and understandable - and i have said nothing to the contrary - nor would I.

but bashing a whole generation of service men and women who are dying daily because of one man who objected -

well, tell that to the mum's of British and American fatalities.

tell them they don't make them like they did no more.

Hmm... sounds pretty direction to me and accusatory, especially since, in talking about my father you seem to take that as me (read the quote) "bashing a whole generation of service men and women who are dying daily because of one man who objected".

I have not nor would I EVER do that. Like I said in the very beginning, I am not America's biggest fan but I have always ALWAYS respected the military. THAT I take personally, since it was directed at me and I was being accused of it.

Nalani - i have no issue - i'm just suprised at being accused of somehow making a general statement personal?????

You know, after accusing me of hating on the entire generation in the military, seriously, don't cry to me about my accusations. They're actually very evident.

Some may think I'm overreacting, I really don't care. I won't be accused to talking smack about our service men and women in this war or "bashing" on them as I have been by you - or anyone.

A lot of times 18yr olds just aren't prepared to make these kind of life altering (or threatening) decisions.

Correct you are kemo-sabe. That's why they join the Army (et al). It keeps them from making major mistakes.

Joing the army obviously could be the mistake for many 18yr olds.

You know, I both agree and disagree with you on this.. weird, I know :D

At 18, you're allowed to vote, you enter the beginning of the 'adult' stage in your life and you are seen to have the ability to make good, sound decisions. If not 18, then when? 21? 25?

But then again, when my eldest was 18 he got ready to go to college then was offered the most *perfect* job - lifeguard at a 5 Diamond resort and he had to choose. It woulda been cut and dry for me (take the job LOL) but he really thought it out. He still isn't sure if he made the right choice but has no regrets about the choice he made. It would have been easier if I could just "tell" him what to do, according to him LOL.

The army, like college, work, relationships, etc., could be the wrong decision for many 18 year olds. I think maybe it's a right of passage. Make up your mind, stand by your decision and deal with the consequences and/or rewards.

Nalani said:
The army, like college, work, relationships, etc., could be the wrong decision for many 18 year olds. I think maybe it's a right of passage. Make up your mind, stand by your decision and deal with the consequences and/or rewards.
Which is one of the most important life lessons there is. It builds character and strength and frankly, it makes you a good human being.

Which is one of the most important life lessons there is. It builds character and strength and frankly, it makes you a good human being.

Mostly, it gets you away from that annoying "ME, ME, ME!!!" attitude that seems to prevail today...

Standing by a bad decision you made when you're 18 can ruin the rest of your life.

I decided to be a Marketing Major at 18. Thankfully I didn't stand by it or I would be miserable now. I wasted a lot of money and time realizing that mistake.

Standing by a bad decision you made when you're 18 can ruin the rest of your life.

I can agree with that. But I can also say 4 years isn't a very long time to ruin the rest of your life if what you've done is legal. If you don't like it, there are other ways to get out besides disobeying a lawful order, or breaking any of the other regulations. Besides...the person in question here was/is an officer, which makes him at least 21...

Another thing...the army is not 'singling him out'. Anyone who disobeys an order gets the same treatment. His punishment, however, should be more severe. His defense attorney is also not too bright. Missing movement is nothing like he says it is. It is a criminal act in the eyes of the military, and always has been.

spike said:
I decided to be a Marketing Major at 18. Thankfully I didn't stand by it or I would be miserable now. I wasted a lot of money and time realizing that mistake.

Money is replaceable. Time is never wasted. Regardless as to whether you enjoyed your choice or not, you most likely learned something from it.

Like I said, spike, I both agree and disagree with you on the whole making decisions when you're 18. The difference between making a choice of a major - or going to college for that matter - and joining the service is that going to college, you have a certain freedom to change your mind, continue on, stop, etc. Joining the military is not. It is a vow and a promise. You don't solemnly swear when you start college that you're going to finish out your obligation - but you do that when you join the military. Right or wrong, you make that necessary vow and you are not *free* to change your mind (aside from the time at boot camp, if I'm not mistaken? Not sure if that's changed). That's the irony - in the military, a certain amount of your freedoms is given to (I say 'given to' and not 'taken from' because it's voluntary) America so that those Americans who are not in the military can enjoy their freedoms.

Back