mySQL???

phpMyAdmin is the easiest way to use it.
You have a link to it in your cpanel, at the bottom of the
databases page.;)

uh, how do you use MySQL? learn SQL first and you'll get along pretty fine...use the online reference manual on the MySQL website...
read up to phpMyAdmin a bit on the internet...there are articles available on the net if i''m correct :)

Ash, JJR should be able to help you with it quite a bit.
From what I've seen he's pretty good with it.;)

It's hard to tell you how to use it without knowing what you need to use it for. MySQL is basically a fast way to store and retrieve information that needs to be accessed quickly. A lot of things use it, like message boards, online stores, and news sites.

catocom said:
Ash, JJR should be able to help you with it quite a bit.
From what I've seen he's pretty good with it.;)

he told me to figure it out myself. :(
i was like.... geeee.... thanks.........
..... for being a JERK.

What a guy. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I can help you out with some things. For starters, what do you need to do with it?

First you'll need to set up a MySQL user (if you haven't already) and database. Your host should've given you a link to a control panel (most likely http://www.batwing.org/cpanel ), you'll need that and the username and password for your account to log into it.

Depending on what this interface looks like, you'll need to look for a link called MySQL management, database management, or SQL database. Go into that. If you need to add a MySQL user, you can do so here (you'll know you have to when you don't see any users listed there). Make up a username and put in a password for it (for simplicity's sake, use the same password as you log into the cpanel with). Once it's been added, go back to that same page (it will usually tell you now that there's a MySQL user, if you entered "db" in the box it will likely be named something like batwing_db) and make a name for the database. For example, "forum". (When adding a new DB, it will usually prefix the name with your account name, such as batwing_forum). Once you add that, go back to the same page once more, and give the user access to that database. (There should be a line of dropdown boxes that contain the mysql username and the new database you just created, along with an "Add user to DB" button)

Now for the hard part :bolt:

Download Invision Power Board

http://www.invisionboard.com/download.cgi?subc=show&pid=invboard1_1_2

It will be a zip file... extract the contents to your C drive, you'll find a folder called "invboard1_1_2" there. Go into it. You'll see a few folders, one of them will be named upload. Go into that one. Select all the files and copy them onto your site via FTP, into the folder you'll be putting your message board on. e.g. in /forum

Once all the files are uploaded, open the address in your browser that you put the forum on. e.g. http://www.batwing.org/forum/sm_install.php

You should come to an installation page that will follow you through a few quick steps. You only want to change a couple things, SQL username, password, and database. For SQL username, put in the username you saw when you were at the database page in the control panel (e.g. batwing_db). Same for the database, put in the database name you saw on that page (e.g. batwing_forum). Leave the server name as "localhost", that means it will connect to itself for MySQL requests.

The installation from there on out is unmanned... Lemme know if you need more detailed explanation about any of this.

You need an ftp program such as AceFTP 3 Freeware (yes it's totally free).

http://freeware.aceftp.com/

When you've installed, registered and opened the program click on the icon on the left of the toolbar that says ftp and has a green arrow > double click on "new site profile" > fill in the boxes - give it a name you'll remember - "server" is the address of the server your account is on, it'll be something like "ftp.tripod.com" and should be somewhere in your user information - then fill in your user name and password. > click on next and browse to the folder where you keep the stuff for your site > click finish. You can also give the web address of the folder you want to start in if you like, but it isn't necessary unless you're sharing space with someone else.

To connect to the site click on the ftp icon and doubleclick on the site name you chose. Your local computer files are in the bottom left window and the remote server files are on the right. Most of the icons to move, delete, etc around the windows are self explanitory. To move files up to or down from the site - highlight the files and click on one of the blue arrows on the central partitition between the windows. You may be asked if you want to replace the existing file, if so click OK, otherwise it will number the file. The top window will tell you if you've connected ok and what's happening when you ftp something up or down. If you have given the wrong information or the servers down it will attempt to connect 3 times before it gives up. You can change any of the information by right clicking on the name you chose and clicking on "properties". To break the connection click on the ftp icon with the broken arrow.

The Free HTML editor is also great if you write your own code. Have fun! :D

Do you think they'll pay me for advertising their goods? :lol: Personally I've tried lots of different programs and found this the easiest and one of the best to use. :)

The simplest way to log into FTP is with Internut Exploder itself (it acts just like a regular folder where you can drag and drop files just as you would to move or copy a file from one place to another on your computer)

You should've received an FTP hostname with the user information email you received when you signed up. Log in by entering ftp://ftp username@ftp hostname into the address field

The address will look something like this if your username is batwing and the ftp hostname is ftp.batwing.org - ftp://[email protected]

You'll be asked for the password, enter that.

You'll get to a list of folders, one of which is "public_html". Go into that. From there, right click in a blank space, go to New, and click New Folder. Name it what you want your forum directory to be (this folder will be accessed from your website like http://www.batwing.org/foldername) then go into that. That's where you upload the contents of the "upload" folder. To do that, select it all, hold in Ctrl, and drag the mouse over to the FTP window (if it's hidden, hold the mouse over the taskbar button for a few seconds and it will appear), then drop the files there. It may take a while to upload them all.

My cpanels have the option also in Tools (the big smilie face)
, I think to install PHPbb right from there.;)
I set it up for my business affiliate.
PCCharlies.

Aunty Em said:
You need an ftp program such as AceFTP 3 Freeware (yes it's totally free).

http://freeware.aceftp.com/

When you've installed, registered and opened the program click on the icon on the left of the toolbar that says ftp and has a green arrow > double click on "new site profile" > fill in the boxes - give it a name you'll remember - "server" is the address of the server your account is on, it'll be something like "ftp.tripod.com" and should be somewhere in your user information - then fill in your user name and password. > click on next and browse to the folder where you keep the stuff for your site > click finish. You can also give the web address of the folder you want to start in if you like, but it isn't necessary unless you're sharing space with someone else.

To connect to the site click on the ftp icon and doubleclick on the site name you chose. Your local computer files are in the bottom left window and the remote server files are on the right. Most of the icons to move, delete, etc around the windows are self explanitory. To move files up to or down from the site - highlight the files and click on one of the blue arrows on the central partitition between the windows. You may be asked if you want to replace the existing file, if so click OK, otherwise it will number the file. The top window will tell you if you've connected ok and what's happening when you ftp something up or down. If you have given the wrong information or the servers down it will attempt to connect 3 times before it gives up. You can change any of the information by right clicking on the name you chose and clicking on "properties". To break the connection click on the ftp icon with the broken arrow.

The Free HTML editor is also great if you write your own code. Have fun! :D

Do you think they'll pay me for advertising their goods? :lol: Personally I've tried lots of different programs and found this the easiest and one of the best to use. :)

I also use both those Ace products. And also highly recomend them.;)
Ace HTML also works very well with PHP code.

Back