NASA comes through in the end...

Good :)

Maybe this time the next mail I get from the US will take less than six weeks to get here :retard3:

Stop Laughing said:
It'll be there in four, but be badly damaged for being dropped from the sky too high.

Or wet from being dropped too soon, and having to skip it's way across some of the Atlantic... ;)

It's a pilotless vehicle. Who's going to drop the mail out? It did, after all, require the ocean to stop it.

Gonz said:
It's a pilotless vehicle. Who's going to drop the mail out? It did, after all, require the ocean to stop it.
one thing at a time...at least the new technology works...last time it went ka-blewy....

The intent wasn't to break any records but to create a fuel efficient jet... This one fed on the atmospheres oxygen.

tonks said:
one thing at a time...at least the new technology works...last time it went ka-blewy....

That was a self destruct. The booster's directional fins failed and they blew it up.

Oz said:
:alienhuh:

*changes his address*

Now, now...Although the UK is a small area, we, in the US have grown quite fond of you blokes...except the rugby players, and would do nothing to harm individuals like yourself...unless, of course, you like rugby... :hmm:

I'm not taking any chances..........I'm not gonna find meself sitting on the bog if a dirty great big airplane is gonna come crashing through the roof :eek:

Me mail will just have to be delivered the old fashioned way..........by row boat judging by the time it takes ;)

yes, but the shuttle is a thirty y/o bathtub with wings, this is supposed to be something spiffy and new.

In order for a scramjet to work, the aircraft must be going at at least mach 6. The only way to get a vehicle up to that speed is with a rocket engine. Once the rocket was finished firing, the scramjet took over, and accelerated the X43 up to around Mach 7. Perhaps I sense some jealousy here...;)

Well, since this was only a test model for the engine, I imagine that they'll figure a way to get the real deal up to speed in a non cheating fashion. Possibly mag lev/linear accelerator. But for a test-of-concept engine, I imagine that they simply decided on going the cheap route and save the money for building a better engine based on what they learned on this run. After all, spending all the money necessary on a dedicated launch platform for a non functional engine might be seen as waste.

Gato_Solo said:
In order for a scramjet to work, the aircraft must be going at at least mach 6. The only way to get a vehicle up to that speed is with a rocket engine. Once the rocket was finished firing, the scramjet took over, and accelerated the X43 up to around Mach 7. Perhaps I sense some jealousy here...;)
i drive a rusty `90 sable, i have trouble going the speed limit, much less 7 times the speed of sound.

Back