Near-Death Experiences

Gotholic

I believe it helps validates that there is life after death.

What do you think of them?

This link is very informative on the subject.

Discuss!

I had a death experience, pulled a Nikki Sixx, got restarted, and am still pretty much an atheist.

What I think?

It's a brain chemistry explosion. Every chemical you got gets rushed up there in a hyperreaction to a trauma. Your memory centre short-circuits along with your sub consciousness, triggering some funky thoughts, sight and hearing go beserk, everything. You wake up, and your foggy mind interprets what it saw however it can.

Perfectly natural, and nothing to do with anything but brain function.

Given that Christians see Christian stuff, and Jews see Jewish stuff, and Natives see Native stuff, and Hindus see Hindu stuff, and realizing logically that they couldn't all be right in the case there 'was' life after death, it begs the conclusion that both the experience and the interpretation thereof is based solely on memory, knowledge and/or belief.

Leslie said:
What I think?

It's a brain chemistry explosion. Every chemical you got gets rushed up there in a hyperreaction to a trauma. Your memory centre short-circuits along with your sub consciousness, triggering some funky thoughts, sight and hearing go beserk, everything. You wake up, and your foggy mind interprets what it saw however it can.

Given that Christians see Christian stuff, and Jews see Jewish stuff, and Natives see Native stuff, and Hindus see Hindu stuff, and realizing logically that they couldn't all be right in the case there 'was' life after death, it begs the conclusion that both the experience and the interpretation thereof is based solely on memory, knowledge and/or belief.
OR

there is a god, and he is one god for all the religions, and no one religion is right, but he/she puts u[p with it, cause we are his little dumb children

k.

but if you're having a NEAR DEATH experience, the point is SUPPOSED to be that you're seeing the other side. So Ra and his buddies would all be standing there for everyone, or for noone.

If it were brain snafu, we'd all each see what we know or some effedup variation thereupon. Which is what happens.

Leslie said:
k.

but if you're having a NEAR DEATH experience, the point is SUPPOSED to be that you're seeing the other side. So Ra and his buddies would all be standing there for everyone, or for noone.

If it were brain snafu, we'd all each see what we know or some effedup variation thereupon. Which is what happens.

I remember nothing, no white lights, no choruses of singing angels, no swedish bikini team bringing me beer.

I missed out, but life is SO much better than afterlife

Leslie said:
What I think?

There have been cases where a person has seen his doctor trying to revive himself from a bird's eye view. When the patient came out of it he can say what the doctor did, who was in the room, and what everyone said. This had happened when the patients were clinically dead.

How do you explain that one?

Gotholic said:
There have been cases where a person has seen his doctor trying to revive himself from a bird's eye view. When the patient came out of it he can say what the doctor did, who was in the room, and what everyone said. This had happened when the patients were clinically dead.

How do you explain that one?

Brain was still functioning, at very low levels, so the pateint heard everything, and the imagination filled in everything else hence the vision.

I don't portend to have the knowledge to explain the human brain and it's functions in their entirety. Nor do most legitimate scientists, I do believe.

What I do know that clinically dead does not always mean dead dead, as obviated in the cases you cite. This would be a simple explanation, accompanied of course by the OBVIOUSLY NOT DEAD part.

Perhaps the term "clinically dead" should be amended to "Mostly Dead".

Leslie said:
I don't portend to have the knowledge to explain the human brain and it's functions in their entirety. Nor do most legitimate scientists, I do believe.

What I do know that clinically dead does not always mean dead dead, as obviated in the cases you cite. This would be a simple explanation, accompanied of course by the OBVIOUSLY NOT DEAD part.

Perhaps the term "clinically dead" should be amended to "Mostly Dead".

You see, "mostly dead" means a little alive...:D

catocom said:
I don't need validation at this point, I have my faith. :swing:
And that, my friend, is the real point. If you have faith, then you don't require validation. If you require validation, then you don't have faith.

The various physiological phenomena of "near death experiences" have been duplicated under laboratory conditions in high stress, high gee experiments hundreds of times. As Leslie points out, they're the brains reaction to trauma. They are well understood. Of course, a lot of people with a vested interest in having you believe otherwise will deny it.

Now excuse me, I have to go astrally project...

A separate, but related question. If the afterlife is supposedly so great, why are so many of you believers so afraid to die? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested in answers.

chcr said:
A separate, but related question. If the afterlife is supposedly so great, why are so many of you believers so afraid to die? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested in answers.

Speaking only for myself here...

It's not so much fear of what lies beyond death. We're human, with human wiring. I don't fear death in the literal sense. I dread the process, I know I will miss people left here, I know it will hurt those I love. I fear the unknown properties associated with death...will I be in pain? Stuff like that.

As to the original question/discussion...I have no need to validate my beliefs. My faith is strong enough to maintain itself thus far, and my belief structure does not demand that I convert everyone I meet, only to be willing when the opportunity arises. If the message is not accepted, that is not on me. I also believe that Heaven is a real place, but somehow...personal. Thus, a rural Christian Protestant like myself will experience it one way, while an urban Catholic might experience it differently. Some features will be common, but some may not. No way of knowing that, and not one iota of writing to back it up. Just my interpretation. It would explain variences in near death experiences though.

SouthernN'Proud said:
my belief structure does not demand that I convert everyone I meet, only to be willing when the opportunity arises.
I only wish they all thought like you on that point.

I've had an out of body experience. I was about 18 or so and laying on a bed (half wasted) and after a bit it was like I was floating around on the ceiling and could see myself laying on the bed. It was really spooky.

And I also don't like to have religion pushed on me. Recently I started finding ziplock baggies on my front lawn. It was a local church group "spreading the word". They decided it would be a good idea to put a flyer in a baggie along with some rocks and toss it peoples yards as they drove down the street. I had a good mind to go toss it back in their yard.

alex said:
I've had an out of body experience. I was about 18 or so and laying on a bed (half wasted) and after a bit it was like I was floating around on the ceiling and could see myself laying on the bed. It was really spooky.

And I also don't like to have religion pushed on me. Recently I started finding ziplock baggies on my front lawn. It was a local church group "spreading the word". They decided it would be a good idea to put a flyer in a baggie along with some rocks and toss it peoples yards as they drove down the street. I had a good mind to go toss it back in their yard.
At least your yard litter is trying to save your soul...mine is trying to paint my house or mow my lawn.

We were accosted last week on the sidewalk in -14 weather by the backpack wearing zombie brigade.

No escape. That sucked.

Back