Need Some Help - DVD Ripping

Toolbox™

Hi People. :) It's been a while and although I know these are the off-topic forums, I need some help from some of you technically savvy people. Of course, I tried HWC first but I my post was ignored.

So, down to buisness: I just got myself a very spacious WD ShareSpace NAS and a WDTV Live. I want to put all my movies (No HD and no Blu-Ray) in the ShareSpace but I have never ripped a DVD into the hard drive before. This is where I need help.

I've been looking around and everyone seems to have a different opnion as to what is simplest and best to use. I'd like advise from someone that actually does this. I am not concerned about the amount of space it'll take but I definitely want to retain the audio. Most of my DVD's are DTS or THX and I want the rip to retain the audio encoding.

Does anyone do this? Also, does my computer have to meet specific hardware requirements? Mine is about 2 years old. :(

Hopefully, I can get help from you guys.

Cheers. :)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've backed-up my DVD's using DVDFab without any problems. There's a CLONE option, the entire original disc. It was good enough to buy, so I did.

catocom

Before you go uploading backups, I'd check the licenses/copyrights very carefully.
As soon as you upload rips, you are subject to laws suits I think.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I use DVDShrink, it allows you to:
- do full backup without any alteration
- partial backups (remove extra content, audio tracks, subs, etc)
- re-encode the backup at a lower bitrate (at the expense of some quality) so the image is smaller (i.e. to fit a 9GB DVD into a 4.7GB disc)

And is free.

Toolbox™

No worries, catocom. I don't plan on uploading anything.

I've downloaded both DVD Fab abd DVDShrink and I'll try them both. Are these applications simple? I'm in no way educated with this type of thing. :(

catocom

oh is that a local external HD you are using?

Both of those apps are quite easy, without much of a learnig curve
dvdfab is the more so.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
DVDFab..extremely.

DVDshrink...used to be but it lost quality so I didn't like it. That may have been fixed over the last couple of years.