Nervous wreck

Starya

I hate talking on the phone. Really hate it. Thing is, my mind doesn't work as fast as it ought to, when it comes to processing spoken words, often leaving me with a blank expression on my face before I eventually catch up with an oral statement, and can give an appropriate answer. Also, my hearing seems to be lacking in some areas, I hear people are talking, but I often have a hard time making out what they're saying, especially if we're not face to face.

Therefore: phonecalls suck.

And now, I'm about to pick up the phone and call a head teacher in England. Me. Having an intelligent conversation. In English. Hahahah.

Oh God,a drink would have been great right now.. :drink:

ClaireBear

Banned
Starya said:
I hate talking on the phone. Really hate it. Thing is, my mind doesn't work as fast as it ought to, when it comes to processing spoken words, often leaving me with a blank expression on my face before I eventually catch up with an oral statement, and can give an appropriate answer. Also, my hearing seems to be lacking in some areas, I hear people are talking, but I often have a hard time making out what they're saying, especially if we're not face to face.

Therefore: phonecalls suck.

And now, I'm about to pick up the phone and call a head teacher in England. Me. Having an intelligent conversation. In English. Hahahah.

Oh God,a drink would have been great right now.. :drink:

First...

Write out everything you need to say first... even callcentres like mine use "scripts"... we don't stick to them but we have them! :p

Then...

make sure the handset volume is turned up full... there's normally a button or switch on the phone base.

Finally...

Don't worry!

The head is an intelligent person they'll realise that English isn't your first language and that the conversation won't be a fast or fluent as with a native speaker... they make allowances.

Also if this is a typical English person... you may be in luck... as because you're a "foreigner" he/she will talk down the phone extremely loundly and slowly... raising the volume if he/she thinks you don't understand!!! :D :D

So.. You'll be fine! :D :D

Don't worry... this person's human and a teacher... usually very understanding. :hug:

Starya

My dear old phone only has one volume setting.

Well, so far so good. The line is busy. :D

Actually, it took me forewer to get the phone number right, after finding the International Access code and the Country code, I had a long moment of frustration before I found out on a British site, that I was supposed to leave out the initial "0" in the area code. Complicated stuff, this is. It would have been so much easier if they had just answered my e-mail instead. Bastards. :disgust:

Starya

Oh God, it feels like I've just stepped off a roller coaster. *holds on to desk*

Well, you were right CB, he was very nice and understanding. But also a fast talker. Woah! But miracles still do happen, I managed to keep up.

Now I just need to write down everything he said in detail, before I forget what my unreadable notes are supposed to say.

Oh, and a cup of tea would be lovely.. *puts the cettle on*

PrincessLissa

Good for you! In the future it is easy to write quick notes about what he says in case you forget when writing everything down after the call. :D

tank girl

starya said:
my mind doesn't work as fast as it ought to, when it comes to processing spoken words, often leaving me with a blank expression on my face before I eventually catch up with an oral statement, and can give an appropriate answer.

I know the feeling - I have always far preferred writing to talking, I can express and think for myself far better that way.

Starya

PrincessLissa said:
Good for you! In the future it is easy to write quick notes about what he says in case you forget when writing everything down after the call. :D
I know. And I do write notes.

The problem arises when I have to decipher it afterwards..
:D