Networking help

Anon

Ok...I read the post about networking and I have a kind of similar problem....Both computers are online, etc. but I can't get them to communicate with each other. One(A) shows both computers when I hit view Workgroup Computers (I can't access B comp in any way shape or form however despite setting up a shared drive) but the other(B) says I have no access to the workgroup. I'm really at a loss...I've set the network up before and I've done everything the same but it just doesn't want to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Mirlyn

A few questions...

1) What are the operating systems on the machines?

2) Network hardware used.....hubs/switches/routers? Crossover cables?

3) How are the machines addressed (using a router or are they static)? Are they pingable?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I solved a similar problem by unplugging everything & "resetting" the router.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Installed and active protocols under the network adapter?
Hardware or software firewall blocking NetBIOS connections?

Anon

ok..I think I've got it...maybe...the guy who reformatted my comp for me installed Norton Internet Security...and I think the firewall was blocking it...

chcr

Too cute for words
Try Gonz's idea first, you'd be surprised how often that works.

Is DCHP turned on in the router?
Is File and Printer sharing turned on on both computers?
Are you sure you you typed the workgroup name exactly the same on every computer (I did that one myself once).
I don't know how you do it in XP, but refresh the IPs too.

Anon

Tried both...and it appears to be the Norton Firewall....I think...but it appears to be working now so I'm gonna leave it alone :p Thanks for all the help...and so quick too ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Anon said:
Tried both...and it appears to be the Norton Firewall....I think...but it appears to be working now so I'm gonna leave it alone :p Thanks for all the help...and so quick too ;)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

Mirlyn

Anon said:
That'd be it. There should be a setting to allow local traffic. I can't remember where its at though.