new fan, cpu temps

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i got my AS3, 80mm fan, and adaptor for my heatsink today. It ended up being a big pain in the ass partially because i'm dumb and partially because i don't think. the first problem was that I ordered a temperature sensitive fan, thinking it was variable speed and controlled by variable resistors. nope, it has a temperature probe coming out of the motor, i ended up wedging that in between two fans on the heatsink because it was the hottest place i could think of. next problem was the adaptor which gets in the way of the screws that attach my heatsink to the MB. also, the screws that came with the adaptor don't fit the HSF so i used the old ones that are meant to have a fan attached as well. i only jacked them in halfway for fear of tear ing the cpu apart from all the lateral force. i finally got the fan on and the temperature shot up really quick, aparently the thermistor doesn't comphensate very quickly. it seems to have stablized at ~46C, a few degrees warmer than the old dying fan ran at maximum speed but this is soooo much more quiet. i attached a few pics

the half inserted screws
p1010006.jpg

the whole thing, the white wire is the thermistor jammed into the heatsink, anyone got any ideas for making the fan run full speed always?
p1010007.jpg

Temps are fine, why'd you want it full speed if you're not overclocking? I doubt that thing would see 56C if that 46C is the idle temp and thats fine, keep the quiet man :D I figure shorting the thermistor wires would do the trick, not sure though so don't do it until thats confirmed :D

That's the same adapter as mine - the akasa one. It looks like you have one of the orbital heatsinks. Is it a flat probe and if so isn't it supposed to go between the processor and the heatsink?

It took me about 4 goes to get the right amount of AS3 on, so cleaning it off isn't a problem. Akasa also make a good TIM cleaner specifically for pads and silver based grease.

it's actually a zalman heatsink, the probe isn't flat, even if it were i don't know if i'd stick on the die, i'd think it'd wreak havok on thermal resistance or transfer or whatever the proper term is

well, the replacement video card showed up today, time for some warcraft err.. stress testing

Back